At Hogwarts

《 1862 》
words

《《《《《《》》》》》》

Harry sat down, setting Lily on his lap. She easily snuggled into his chest. Harry was uncomfortable with having someone sitting on him. He didn't know where to put his hands. He settled with leaning back and crossing his arms across his chest tightly.

"... Harry, are you listening?" Professor McGonagall asked sharply.

"... Hmm?" Harry looked at her when she said his name, "Yeah. Yeah I was listening."

"I was saying; we should keep this on a need to know basis. If Death Eaters caught wind of this..."

"Right. So. How are we going to do that?" Harry snapped, "They just strolled into your classroom, announced to the whole school that I'm their - their dad. You insist on keeping them with us, because it's hard on them. What are we going to do? Put Ginny and I into a private tower, like you do with those girls who get pregnant?" Harry ranted. "The whole school already knows by now, I can guarantee that." He tried to put Lily on the floor, but she grabbed his tee shirt and looked at him with teary eyes.

Professor McGonagall raised her eyebrows but didn't say anything. She honestly felt bad for Harry.

"I think that's exactly what we should do. Ginny could spend the rest of term with them, Albus should have figured out how to send them back before you go back to the burrow. It's the easiest, people would think that-"

"What? That I got knocked-up." Ginny said angrily, "What are they going to think when there's no baby and I go back to Gryffindor after break? I would be avoided like the plague. I would lose everything. Friends, my family's reputation, the teachers will lose all their respect for me! I would have to stop playing quidditch. People remember things long past Hogwarts. For the rest of my life, people will look down on me and judge me. When they see me in the streets they're not going to remember me. Just the fact that I was the one who was stupid enough to get pregnant."

Ginny lost her battle with her tears and they started flowing down her cheeks. "That's not fair to me. I shouldn't have to do that. I shouldn't have to give all that up." Harry nodded in agreement.

"What would you like us to do, Ginny?" said professor Dumbledore calmly.

"Send them back. I'm sure that they're missed in their own time, but..." Ginny said, looking up.

Lily wasn't sure why Ginny was crying, but it startled her, her mother never cried. She reached out and patted her knee. "It's Oh-tay, Mama."

Ginny cringed away from the little girl's touch. The rest of the room stayed silent, waiting for Ginny to do or say anything. A harsh laugh erupted from her. She started laughing in earnest, like she truly found something hilarious. "I'm sorry." She grabbed her bag from the floor, "I just. I just can't, I can't do this."

She opened the door and fled down the spiral stair case. She wasn't sure when her laughs turned into sobs, but by the time she reached the fat lady, she was a wreck. She didn't want to face everyone in there. Rumours were bound to be flying everywhere, neither she nor professor McGonagall had been seen for the rest of the day and they must have noticed Harry's absence as well.

This isn't happening. This isn't happening. This is NOT happening to me.

Ginny wiped her face and held her breath to keep her from crying. "Pickled toad." The portrait swung open. The hum in the room quieted down, until only two girls were talking.

"No, that's not what happened. There was crying outside and McGonagall went to yell at someone and came back with three little kids. Apparently they forgot it was March, thought Luna was their Aunt and that, Harry Potter and Ginny Weasley, are their parents."