Chapter 16

Things have been quiet throughout the next few days. No other girls were disappearing thankfully, and we were going back to our semblance of normal. Though the missing girls were far from disappeared from my mind, and I thought about them constantly.

Everything seemed quiet. A little too quiet, a little too normal. Though I wasn't about to question it. We had made new friends along the way, and while I never would have thought they'd be integrated into the group I was glad to have gotten to know them. We were all just misunderstood kids who needed a place in life. A family, and we found that with each other.

We all had the understanding to never go somewhere alone. If we had to use the bathroom, we went with someone from the group. It wasn't much, but it was enough to keep us safe and secure. It kept our mind at ease if there was someone else with them going anywhere.

Currently I was studying for a test we were going to have in biology class. I was with Annette and Eliza, the other girls off doing something else. Like with algebra, biology wasn't one of my best points so I needed to study as much as I could. I was okay with just passing, but with how I was now I would be no where near that. I would be lucky to get a D minus at the rate I was at without studying.

Annette holds up one of our flashcards, turning towards me. I sat in attention, acting serious as she reads the question out loud. "What makes heat rise?" She quizzed, giving me a moment to wrack my brain for an answer.

Furrowing my eyebrows I tried to think of the answer. "Well, heat doesn't rise. Hot air does," I started, trying to remember what makes it rise. "There are three key elements that make it rise. Radiation, conduction and convection..." I trailed off, looking hopeful that I got it right. We'd been quizzing ourselves for days for this test, sometimes we would switch study partners but we all wanted to do well on this test.

Pausing for dramatic affect, she glanced over at the answer that she already knew. "You are..." she places the flash card down and does a drum roll with her fingers, making Eliza and I roll our eyes at her dramatics, "correct!" She grinned, her eyes sparkling.

"You should really consider going into theater," I teased, now it was her turn to roll her eyes. Eliza giggled at the interaction, her hand on her mouth with amusement in her eyes.

"C'mon now, you got to admit that was a ringer!" Annette grinned, packing up our flash cards. We had been in the library for a while now, for about thirty minutes and we needed a snack. It was the weekend, and this test was on monday. Which meant we had the rest of Friday, and two whole days to study.

Though whether or not we'll get studying done saturday or sunday was still in the air.

"Do you want to see if they have any fruit available at the cafeteria?" I questioned, slinging my shoulder back onto my right shoulder.

"Sure and while you check on that I'll get a chocolate bar!" Annette grinned. After getting to know her I learned she was a total sweet tooth.

"You would..." I chuckled, and she just stuck her tongue out at me childishly. The three of us made our way towards the cafeteria when we heard a scuffle. Glancing at each other we scrambled to hide, pulling into the nearby empty classroom that had been unlocked.

Peeking up over the railing of the window, I saw the VP and another teacher walking with her - talking lowly. In front of them was another girl, though I didn't recognize who it was. Annette gasped, holding her hands over her mouth so they wouldn't know we saw them. Once we were sure the group was gone I turned to Annette, who had grown pale. "What is it, Annette?" I asked her, placing a hand on her shoulder comfortingly.

She took a deep breath, looking at me with glossy eyes. "I know her," she murmured quietly, "she used to hang out with us but she and Jennifer got into a big fight. We chose Jenny over her, of course, not knowing what had exactly happened. We weren't close with Elena like we were with Jenny." So her name was Elena. Annette breathed deeply again, biting her lip in anticipation. "What's going to happen? Will she come back?" Her eyes flickered at the window, but they were long gone by now.

I frowned, not knowing what to do. We couldn't follow them. That would be too obvious. We needed a night where we can scope out the school for anything suspicious. Though I wasn't exactly fond of the idea of roaming the school at night, it was something we would have to do for the safety of the school. Maybe we would find the girls that had gone missing. Or nothing at all.

"How would we know if she went missing or not?" I questioned, "do you know anyone that she knows?"

"Her roommate," Annette quickly answered, "Delilah Gill. She took Elena under her wing after the fight. I had felt bad about just turning my back against her, but at the time I wanted to continue being friends with Jenny. She was the apple of our eye..." She sighed, rubbing the back of her neck sheepishly. "But now... now I might never see her again to give her a proper apology..."

"Calm down, we don't know if that's what they were doing," Eliza stated, though she didn't seem sure.

I nodded my head in agreement. "We'll see tomorrow what happens. Something is bound to break." If Elena does go missing, I'll be ready with a plan. A plan to bring these cowards down and to save the rest of the school from similar fates.