Chapter 5

Sleep did not come easy for me that night.

I couldn't get comfortable. I kept tossing and turning in bed, worrying about Tenley. While I knew I didn't know all the rules to this school, I also knew that there was no way you could just leave. You were basically stuck here until the Holidays, and then stuck again for the rest of the school year. It was basically a prison until break rolls around.

Morning came all too quickly. There was a gloom in the air surrounding the students. Word had gotten out already that Tenley was gone - whether she had gone home, or just simply was taken no one knew. It didn't seem that anyone wanted to question it either, but I was full of questions.

The teachers were acting really suspicious as well. Whenever someone asked a question about Tenley they would skirt over that question, then immediately get on with the lesson that they were going to teach. The only teacher who was acting remotely normal was Professor Clemons, and even he was acting strange for himself. Like he knew something that the students couldn't know, so he was watching every word he said so he didn't slip up.

At least that was what I noticed. Unlike what my mother thinks of me, I was fairly observant. When I wanted to be, at least. I wanted to figure out where Tenley could've gone, so I was watching for any sort of signal from the teachers. Anyone who might slip up I was going to call them out on it. Force them to tell us where Tenley went. There was no way they just let her waltz out of this school to go visit family, unless it was a family emergency. Like say a family member dying or something. Even then it was really hard to get out of this school for anything.

It was currently lunch time and I was stabbing the piece of chicken with a fork. I was visibly frustrated. Not only was Tenley still missing, but the teachers didn't seem to care. On top of that they were piling more quizzes and homework - probably to keep our minds off of Tenley being missing. Which was a new low, even for them.

"Uh, Jenna? Stop murdering that chicken, it's already dead..." Mila trailed off with a wince, watching me stab at the piece of cooked chicken like a mad women. I suddenly stopped, glancing up to see all my friends had found our usual lunch table. Mila, Sloan and Leia were all giving me looks of concern as they sat in their usual places.

"How early did you get here, anyhow?" Leia questioned with a raised eyebrow, "you went to go print something off for Professor Clemons and then disappeared for the rest of the classes.... I was worried about you," she pouted, frowning at me.

I winced at that. I hate to worry Leia, but she seemed to worry often about the people she cared about. My heart warmed at the thought of being someone she cared about as I reached over to pat her arm. "I'm sorry Lee, I didn't mean to worry you." Who knew I could make such good friends over a short span of time? Mila and Sloan gave each other knowing looks, but didn't voice their thoughts out loud - which made me narrow my eyes at them. "What?" I questioned, removing my hand from Leia's arm.

"Nothing, nothing..." Mila giggled, giving Sloan a sly look. Now why didn't I believe that? "Oh Jenna, we have more homework for Professor Frank - since you missed her last lesson," Mila informed me, making me groan. I swear that old wench hated us. "It's on the school website, so gotta do it online." She tapped her temple as if she was sending me something from her mind.

"Fantastic..." I mumbled with a sigh, cutting into the chicken and taking a bite. Just what I needed, an extra heaping of homework.

The entirety of lunch was made with small-talk. Nothing too crazy - mainly how we are fairing up in classes and yada, yada, yada. Nothing too exciting. Although it did feel like we were being watched... which was an eerie feeling to itself. Though ever since Tenley's disappearance things at this school had gotten slightly darker. For a school that prides itself in being safe, it certainly didn't feel safe at this very moment.