Gu Weiyi

February 19th

Faye Calinao

"It's late," Gu Weiyi said, and I looked away from my work to see him taking off his goggles. I looked towards him since we were the only two left in the lab. Zhou Lei left hours ago and Senior Yu Yin had left an hour after an exhausting day for her graduate independent study.

It was now past midnight and Gu Weiyi was making the call to end this session. Lei brought me back to campus around 6pm to do another session with my research group and I had yet to talk to Gu Weiyi about his outburst last week.

I closed my textbook before closing my notebook with my observations and calculations. I sighed feeling tired myself realizing I shouldn't have stayed this late. Lei and I were supposed to have a 7am rehearsal together before we had a full orchestra at 9. I knew by this time I wouldn't be able to sleep until 2:30. Lei asked for me to spend the night and had already sent a message saying he was on his way. I put my notebook, calculator, and pencils into my bag.

I walked over to the closet to put my lab coat away and place my goggles in its spot. I was about to close the door when Weiyi came over. His tall figure reached past me to put his goggles on the top self. I moved slightly out of the way as he took off his lab coat to put into the closet.

"Gu Weiyi," I spoke to him for the first time since his outburst. He doesn't say anything as he takes his hanger from the closest. It was a bit strange mixing all my emotions with him. I can remember how close we have gotten. "Can... we please talk?"

"I have to get home to Sito Mo," He said and turned to make his way over to his bag. I followed him since I already had my things with me.

"We used to be really close."

"Faye," He sighed. "I'm really tired. I don't want to talk about this."

"You're never going to want to talk about this. Why are you upset with me? Lei and I are going to have a baby. I can't control what has been done."

"Do you have any idea what he has put you through?" He asked, frustrated. "You were the one to call me when he broke your heart. To see you trying to get back together with him frustrates me. It is not right. It does not help that you're having his child. I can't continue to watch you make the same mistakes."

"Gu Weiyi."

"Faye, I'm sorry. I never liked them. I put up with them, because you're a really nice person Faye, but after watching you with what happened last semester with them then into this semester is too much. If you want to share your drama, use your best friend Ximen. I don't want to be that person anymore."

My mind's telling me I shouldn't be surprised. I shouldn't be surprised if anyone who wasn't Ximen, wouldn't be a part of my life for long. Even Ximen himself made me choose. My heartaches thinking about the night I told Ximen. The same terrifying and hurtful feeling returned to me. It has every night since that night.

"You're just like Ximen," I accused him and he frowned, wondering what I was talking about.

"I'm nothing like him, Faye." I sighed, feeling upset thinking about Ximen now.

"You're both making me choose between one thing and another. It's like you both don't trust me."

"I never said that."

"You both ruin friendships," I sighed and turned away and blinked a few times realizing my eyes burned slightly from the tears. Why couldn't the swollen hole in my chest lessen each time?

"He ruins friendships."

"You're ruining our friendship. The difference between you and him is that you at least let me talk to you. You're much more approachable than he is." There's a brief moment before he responds.

"What is that supposed to mean Faye?"

"I'm saying at least you're a decent person. You're someone who I've become comfortable talking to. Ximen and I never had that. Ximen takes things to the extreme."

"So you're having another argument with Ximen again? See? I can't keep up with that." I sighed and let the swollen pain consume me. My eyes cleared, but here was the constant throbbing of my heart shattering into small pieces.

"There isn't a Ximen anymore," I said quietly. I looked down towards the ground feeling down.

"What?"

"I really appreciate having you in my daily life when I came here. I always look forward to seeing you and Sito Mo."

"Wait," Gu Weiyi spoke realizing something.

"You, Lei, and Senior Yu Yin are the best thing to happen to me during my senior year. I was lucky to become close with all of you."

"Faye," Weiyi reached for my arm. He seemed more alert now. "Y-you remember?"

"Yes," I spoke feeling flustered and pulled my arm away from him. "I started remembering yesterday morning."

"And what did you mean there isn't a Ximen anymore?"

"Now you care?" I folded my arms. "It's fine. I should get going."

"What did Ximen do?" He asked with a hint of anger.

"It doesn't really matter."

"It does Faye. I can tell you're bothered by the thought of whatever he did."

"He knows," I said lightly and turned my head slightly so I did not look at him.

"I'm guessing he did not take it well? I'm surprised Lei is out and about like nothing has happened."

"It's because I haven't told him."

"Then how..."

"I chose Lei's friendship and health over mine so nothing would happen to Lei."

"You should have let Lei get hurt. You need Ximen in your life. You two have known each other since you were five. How can he possibly do this to you?"

"Apparently it was easy for him to even consider it."

"I'm... sorry this happened."

"I prefer not to think about it. It just... it feels like a part of me has been taken away."

"Do... you plan on telling Lei?"

"Eventually. Though right now, I'd like to process everything on my own."

"Am I the only one who knows?"

"No. Senior Yu Yin also knows. Also... Daoming Si knows, because he was there. " Gu Weiyi nodded slightly.

"Are you... alright?"

"Not really. I feel betrayed and quite emotional at random times."

"Do you want me... to talk to him?"

"No..." I shook my head. "He wants me out of existence. As long as I can keep Lei breathing and in good conditions, then I'll continue to stay out of Ximen's sight."

"That's awful Faye. I knew he wasn't good to begin with." When I remained silent, he sighed. "Sorry."

///

Next update: February 3rd, 2022