Chapter Four: The Interviews

Elena kept glancing my way, giving me a questioning look. I really wished she would stop that and tried to mentally tell her to stop being so obvious. We were back in the kitchen and we had decided that the first action would be to ask Tere some questions. If Carlo didn’t die in a simple car accident, it was time to stop all the lies (well everyone else’s…mine weren’t killing anyone). I was just waiting for the perfect time to bring the subject up and it wasn’t going to be while the knives were still out. Clearly.

Elena started fidgeting and let out a huge sigh, “Aunt Tere, why do the police think Uncle Carlo was murdered?”

She was just too far for me to have put my hand over her mouth and now it was too late. This wasn’t what we agreed to do and now it was my turn to sneak dirty looks at Elena. What was she thinking? If we got chopped up into little pieces by a cleaver wielding Tere….it would be all her fault.

I held my breath for Tere’s reaction. 

“What?” Elena whispered innocently. “I know that it was your part, but you were taking sooo long.”

Well that’s just great. Mental note #267 : Elena was really impatient and couldn’t follow directions.

“What are you up to now Olivia?” Tere asked slightly exasperated.

It was time to face my aunt. She was standing in the middle of the kitchen, arms crossed and glaring directly at us. I nudged Elena to take over, since she had seemed so talkative earlier. She just elbowed me back. I guess she had changed her mind.  

“The police think Carlo was murdered and they are not looking very far for a suspect,” I stated, putting on my best serious grown-up face (yea, I have one of those).

“You’re going to make a thing out of this right? Ignoring my clear instructions to just let this be.”

I didn’t understand people that asked questions when they already knew the answers, so I didn’t say anything and she didn’t say anything back. We found ourselves in the middle of a staring contest and I knew that if I wanted answers, I could not look away.

Tere sighed and just shook her head, “You have one minute, yes or no questions only and when we’re done you leave me alone.”  

I took the time to do a little mental victory dance, because it really was about the small things in life. It wasn’t the type of interview that I was hoping for but it was better than nothing. I watched as Elena pulled out a little notebook from her purse, she was in charge of writing everything down. At least she didn’t forget the whole plan.  Taking a deep breath, I began my interview.

“Did Carlo die in a car?”

“Yes.”

“Was it an accident?”

“Yes.”

“Are you 100% positive that it was an accident?”

“….No.”

“Was the car tampered with?”

“No.”

“Were there signs of a struggle?”

No answer.

“Did Carlo have problems with anyone in the days before he died?”

“No.”

“Were there people that disliked him though?”

“Yes.”

“Do you know the names of those people?”