Chapter Seventeen: The Lion Takes Over the Den

I sat crossed-legged on my grandfather’s old armchair, a worn-out recliner that I prevented anyone from throwing away.

Furrowing into the indentations of the seat, I attempted to channel him for advice, as I waited ‘patiently’ for everyone to finish their dinner (knowing it was only a matter of time before Matthews would have to exit through the front door).

But the task proved more difficult than I’d initially imagined; my stomach grumbling every few minutes, a constant reminder that I’d missed out on a delicious meal because of him.  

And just when it seemed like the “never-ending dinner”, the chatter changed tune and I could make out foot-steps coming my way. Out of instinct, I shifted my position; swiftly hiding behind the armchair instead.

In no mood for unnecessary conversations, I remained still as my family trickled out of the dining room. I knew Sophie and Russell would stay behind, cleaning up the kitchen; my mother and Elena would probably run up to their rooms to avoid doing any chores.

So that left Teresa and Matthews, and as the foot-steps approached, my suspicious were confirmed (they were all so predictable). I listened carefully, as my aunt thanked him profusely for all his help.

“Not a problem, it’s all part of the job," he responded.

“Of course, but if you ever need anything…don’t hesitate to ask.”

“That won’t be necessary, Teresa.”

My aunt let out an inappropriate school-girl giggle, making me cringe for her. This was not how fifty-something year old women should behave, especially not towards a guy half their age and I had to stop myself from snorting in disgust.

The pair continued to walk towards the front door, joking around like old friends. Matthews took out his phone and pressed some buttons, but it didn’t light up.

“Maybe there is something I need…it seems my phone is dead, do you mind if I use yours?” Matthews asked.

“Of course not, follow me.”

I waited a few minutes to avoid being seen and walked out of the living room casually. From the corner of my eye I caught a glimpse of them turning left. So predictable.

Taking my time, I sneaked into the secret passageway in the hall and cut across towards my aunt’s office. A space she wouldn’t typically let a stranger in, let alone leave them unsupervised. But something about this man had her all dazzled, and I knew that’s exactly what she’d do.

She’d let him make his phone-call in private, while she hurried back to the kitchen to overlook the cleaning. A task, she would’ve of never let Sophie and Russell handle alone. Well, not if she wanted to keep the plates intact.

It was an old ruse, but simple was always better when you were working a con. The longer I observed him, the more I knew about the type of person I was dealing with. Armed with this new information, I exited the passage closest to the office and walked with purpose.

Locked.

Mr. Innocent had locked the door (a problem for anyone else, but not for me). I worked my magic, and opened the door slowly.

He had his back towards me, and didn’t seem to notice anything was amiss. Engrossed in his own little bubble, Matthews continued to whisper rapidly in a language I didn’t quite understand (on his cell, not the house phone). Taking advantage of his distracted state, I approached him carefully.