An Angel Wears Hightops (Chapter 7)

“Hey, what should I do with all this stuff?” Halden asked, motioning towards the massive stack of cardboard boxes behind him, each one marked with his name in thick black Sharpie. Fortunately for me, he still hadn't noticed my presence, and I took that opportunity to duck behind the kitchen counter, knocking the paper towel holder over in the process.

“What the hell are you doing?” Poe grunted, shooting me a look of complete and utter annoyance as the paper towel roll clattered to the floor, landing at his feet.

“Hiding.” I whispered, and he shook his head in irritation before turning back towards Halden, who was struggling to pick up one of the cardboard boxes off of the floor of the hallway. He let out a grunt as he stood up, and staggered through the threshold. He'd only made it a few steps in to the apartment, before he let out a loud yelp and dropped the box, which immediately burst open, sending clothes and toiletries all over the living room carpet.

“Sammy, stop.” Mickey hissed quietly from behind me, but he was too late.

I shot to my feet immediately, completely forgetting the fact that I was supposed to be hiding. Halden's hands were pressed over his face, blood trickling out from between his fingers, and I gasped. His head swung in my direction the second the noise left my lips, his eyes widening in panic when he saw me. Oops.

Hartley?” he asked incredulously as Poe tossed him a face cloth. He caught in clumsily and held it up to his nose, which was still bleeding steadily, thanks to Sammy.

“Hey, Halden. Long time no see.”

“You look, uh. Different.” he commented, and I scowled. With me, I'm always either showered with my hair and make up done perfectly, or I haven't changed out of my pyjama pants in three days. There is no in between, and sadly for me, today was a pyjama pant kind of day.

“Yeah. Thanks. Hey, are you still going out with that girl who isn't prettier than me?”

Now it was his turn to scowl, and I had a very strong feeling that if his middle finger wasn't busy helping hold the cloth to his face, that he would be using it for a very different purpose.

“Are you still friends with... What was that fags name? Da-” I didn't even let him utter Dallas's name before my knee was colliding with his groin at top speed, sending him to a heap on the ground. Just because Dallas had kicked Halden's ass months ago, didn't give him the right to start calling him names. It was about time he got over that little incident, and just admitted that he fought like a 6 year old girl.

“You are down, my man. You are down hard.” Mickey grinned, leaning against the counter as Halden attempted to climb to his feet.

“Well, then.” Poe muttered, an amused smile playing at the corners of his lips. “Welcome to your new apartment.”

“Yeah, man. Out of all the people who applied to be our roommate, you seemed like the least creepy one.”

“But, of course, there are rules.” Poe tacked on, and Mickey nodded in agreement. Poe and Mickey had this habit of finishing each others sentences, which I guess was expected of two siblings who were closer than any other siblings I had ever met.

“Rule number one: You and Hartley obviously have some issues to take care of, so you have about 30 seconds to fix them or else the deal is off.” Mickey told him, crossing his arms over his chest.

“Are you serious?”

“I am dead serious. Only 25 more seconds.”

“Ugh. Look, I don't know what happened between us, but I know you probably think its my fault.” Halden snapped impatiently, although it was a bit hard to take him seriously with a Hello Kitty face cloth draped over his nose.