An Angel Wears Hightops (Chapter 23)

“Hey you,” Lacey greeted me, shrugging off her coat and taking the seat across from me, “You ready for today?”

The two of us, along with Quinn, were seated at a table in the back corner of Starbucks, using the hour before the drug presentation to catch up on things. The Carr siblings had spent the last two days with their family, writing their speeches and sifting through pictures to use for the presentation, leaving hardly any time for the three of us to talk.

I shrugged and glanced down at my coffee cup, very carefully avoiding Lacey's searching stare. The coffee's barely warm anymore when I take a sip, making it difficult to gulp down. I drink it anyways, though, needing to wake up before the presentation. Then again, maybe not. Maybe drifting through the day only half conscious was the only way to get through everything.

“I guess. It's going to be tough.” I told her, running a hand through my hair. Over her shoulder, I could see my reflection in the rain-splattered glass, and boy was that unpleasant. I hadn't slept last night, and it was obvious. Black circles rimmed my eyes, and my skin was red and blotchy, as if I'd been crying. I had been, though, so I guess it made sense.

“Yeah. Tell me about it, we were a mess last night.” Quinn murmured, looking down at the table top as if it contained all the secrets to the universe. Beside him, Lacey fell silent too, turning an unhealthy shade of gray.

“I need to go to the bathroom, excuse me.” she muttered, nearly knocking over her chair in her rush to get around the corner.

“What's her problem?” I asked, watching her as she disappeared behind the door, her long hair swishing behind her.

“Uh, she has the flu.”

I narrowed my eyes at him, and he blushed, looking away anxiously. He was lying, and we both knew that I could tell.

“Quinton, I have know you for 15 years, and I know that you're lying to me right now. What's really going on?”

“I cant tell you, she'll shoot me.”

“I'll shoot you too if you don't tell me.”

Quinn, apparently realizing that he was screwed no matter what, looked nervously at the bathroom door before swinging his gaze back to me. Chewing on his thumbnail, he looked up at me through his eyelashes and said, “Lacey thinks she's pregnant.”

What?!” I exploded, standing up so fast that my chair toppled over, hitting the ground with a crash that caused more than a few people to glower in my general direction.

“No, no, no! Sit down! Jesus, Hart, she's going to hear you and come out. Sit.”

I did as he said, collapsing onto the chair, still not fully believing what he'd just told me.

“Who? How? What? She's still dating Dallas though. Unless....oh my god.” I cried, my eyes widening in horror, “She wouldn't.”