Asking Britt

When we were done at the maternity store, Louis grabbed my hand and pulled me to the nearest jewelry place.

“Engagement rings please,” Louis asked and then pulled me to where the lady pointed.

“Louis, no,” I said to him.

“Choose one,” he replied and pointed towards the glass case,

“Unless you have a secret girlfriend,” I told him, “We’re leaving.”

“Let’s say that I do. Choose the one that you think that she would like the most.”

Since I knew that Louis would let me leave until I chose one, I bent down over the case and started looking.

“Do you need any help?” A worker asked.

“Yes,” Louis replied. “Have you found one you like?” he asked me.

“I have,” I replied and I pointed to a simple, white gold one with three diamonds on it.

“I’ll take that one,” he said.

“Size?” the lady asked and Louis looked at me.

“Eight and a half,” I told her.

“I’ll be right back,” she said and disappeared to the back room.

“Why are you doing this?” I asked Louis.

“Because it will come in handy one day,” he replied with a smile.

“You’re a terrible person,” I told him and started walking away.

Louis caught up with me a few minutes later.

“Please tell me you didn’t buy it,” I said.

“Maybe I did, maybe I didn’t. Now let’s go and get something to eat.”

 .

.

.

.

.

Five minutes later, we were sitting in the food court eating Chinese food. When we finished, Louis stood up and walked across the food court to a table full of teenage girls.

 “Excuse me,” he said and the girls stared at him in shock as he climbed up onto their table.

I stood up and walked over. “Louis,” I said, “Get down. Now.”

“Not until I do this,” he said. “Can I have everyone’s attention please!” he yelled and at least a hundred people stopped talking at looked over at him. I saw some people pulling out phones and started videotaping when they saw who it was.

“Brittany Tom,” he said as he pulled out a little box from his pocket and got down on one knee, “Will you marry me?”

Awwwwwww,” everyone said.

“Oh my god, Louis,” I said in fake shock and put a hand over my heart and a smile on my face. “Fuck no, now get down.”

“It was worth a try,” he shrugged and stood up and hopped off the table. He stuck the little box back into his pocket and put his arm around me. “Let’s go,” he said and we walked out of the mall.

 .

.

.

.

.

*****

.

.