Phil in Need

Derek was at work and Jess was visiting her parents, so it was just Phil, Danny and myself eating breakfast today.

We were munching in silence until Phil said, "Okay, since you've been living here for three months and you're sleeping with my best friend-."

"Derek and I aren't sleeping together," I informed him.

"I feel like I can trust you."

"With what?" I asked as I took another bite of my Frosted Flakes.

"I'm thinking of proposing to Jess."

I started choking. Phil just sat there and did nothing to help. When I was able to breathe again, I said, "What! Are you serious!"

"I'm one hundred percent serious. I just don't know what to do. I don't even have a ring. I need your help."

"Okay, just tell me what to do."

"Will you come with me to a jewelry place and look at rings with me?"

"Wait," I said after a moment, "Does Derek know about this?"

"No," he replied slowly. "I'm kind of afraid to tell him." I saw genuine fear in his eyes.

"Why?"

"Well, he might think that I'm replacing him. We've been best friends since middle school and I'm not sure how he'll react."

"Would you guys kick him out of the house?" I asked and he shook his head.

"No, of course not. And if you're still here, you would be able to stay too. I'm not really sure if Jess and I could handle having our own place. It would be so quiet with out you two being upstairs having sex," he said with a cheeky smile.

I stuck my fingers into my glass of water and flicked it at Phil. "Even though it's none of your business, Derek and I haven't slept together yet."

"Whatever, now go and get ready. We're leaving to go and find a ring at noon." I looked at the clock on my phone and saw that it was eleven twenty. "You don't have very long, so you better hurry."

I stood up from the table and took Danny out of the high chair, then I walked up stairs and went to get ready.

.

.

.

.

*****

.

.

.

.

I was getting Danny dressed when I heard a knock on my bed room door. "Come in," I said and Phil walked in and laid on my bed.

"What if she says no? What if she's not ready to get married and I ruin our whole relationship by asking her? I mean, what even happens to the couples where a guyed proposes and she girl says no? Do they stay together? Do they brake up? They never tell you that type of stuff in movie!" Phil was starting to freak out.

"Calm down! She loves you, and I'm pretty sure that she'll say yes. So stand up, and lets go," I said as I pull on Danny's shirt and picked him up.

It took three hours until we finally found a ring that Phil and I both liked. When we finally  got back home, it was around four.

"Where do I hide it?" he asked.

"Not in your underwear drawer."

"No shit," he replied.

"Hide it in my room. She'll never find it there."

"No, what if she goes to look for something and accidentally comes across it?"

"Then tape it under something," I suggested and Phil went out to the garage and got some duct tape. He ripped off a strand and taped the little box under the sink.

"She'll never find it there," he said with a smile.

"No she won't." After a few moments I added, "How are you going to propose?"

"Any ideas?" He asked.

"Take her to a nice restaurant and pop the question," I suggested.

"Isn't that to simple?"

"I personally think thats one of the best ways to get asked. If a guy asked me to marry him at a fancy restaurant, I would probably say yes."

"Okay, so do I do something like stick it in her drink?"

"No, she could choke on it or swallow it."

"Put it in a thin role of bread?"

"No, just kneel down and say, 'Will you marry me?'"

"When should I do it?"

"After you've asked her dads permission, told your own parents, and told Derek."

"What if Derek says no?"

"I'll be there when you tell him, and I'm sure that he'll be okay with everything."

"But what if he isn't?"

"You should be more worried about asking her dad if you can marry his daughter. If he says no, then you're pretty much screwed."

"Well are't you encouraging," he said sarcastically.

"At least I'm not the one who was to afraid to tell my best friend that their about to make the biggest decision of my life."

"Well at least I'm not afraid to tell a guy that I'm going to have his kid," Phil replied and my jaw dropped from shock.

"That is low," I told him. I wasn't mad or angry at that comment, just shocked and slightly amused.

"I know it was, but it seemed to fit the context of our conversation."

"I must admit that it did."