OkCupid

The following is an excerpt from my profile on the online dating website OkCupid.

Describe what a romantic weekend with you is like.

It's Friday night. I surprise you and come home early. I crawl into bed. "I've got a headache," I say. "We should probably cancel that thing tonight." 

That thing is meeting your parents. That headache is me feeling anti-social and wanting to read the science fiction issue of the New Yorker. I do. There's a story about parallel worlds and telepathic aliens. It's awesome. 

You dissolve 10mg of melatonin under your tongue and fall asleep angry. 

It's Saturday morning. I surprise you with breakfast in bed: freshly squeezed orange juice and homemade waffles. You tell me that you're gluten intolerant. I suggest you're being duped by "that stupid paleo fad." You counter with, "Celiac disease isn't a fad, Colin. It's a fucking disease." 

"Polio is a disease!" I say, but you can't hear. You're already out the door and on your way to play tennis.

It's Saturday evening. You come home to find me in my pajamas drinking a glass of rare single-malt whisky your grandfather left you. You begin packing a duffle bag.

"Another lousy doubles match?" I say.

"Go to hell."

I take a sip of your grandfather's whisky. 

"I'm leaving."

"I'd love to come with you," I say, "but I've got a headache."