Chapter Seventeen

In a dramatic conclusion to a forty year old case, that has divided our island. The mystery of what happened to Mehmet Sancak has finally been solved by none other than his granddaughter Ayça Soydere and famous Turkish actor Alp Erdogan. Mehmet bey was laid to rest earlier today next to his beloved daughter Leyla Sancak who died several months ago. Now the coroner has not released an official cause of death but we are told that Mehmet bey died from a gunshot wound to the chest and it is rumored that the gun was fired by his friend Ferit Ozdemir. Ferit bey died years ago so unfortunately he can not be brought to trial but we hope that this knowledge will help to bring some closure to the Sancak family who-

Ayça changed the channel on the television in the hotel lobby. She was tired of the constant hounding of questions and of the reporters who were buzzing around outside the hotel like flies around a carcass.

Her aunt Selmas eyes were red lined and her face haggard as she rummaged around one of the lobby drawers. She had refused to take the day off after the burial of Mehmet. Instead she flitted around the hotel like a hummingbird cleaning and helping with the guests. 

She grabbed a single white candle and handed it to Nehir. "Take this to the woman in room 302"

"What does she need a candle for?" Ayça asked her aunt, trying to make conversation with her. 

She shrugged her shoulders "I don't know Kızım but she has requested one every single day since she has been here. Her son is one of the wealthiest men in Istanbul so we do whatever we need to in order to keep her happy" 

The entire day she felt as if she were in a fog. It was starting to dawn on her that they had finally solved the mystery of her grandfathers disappearance and that she had ended a hundreds of years old curse. She should be revealing in peace and tranquility but instead she was fraught with worry.  For she was no closer to figuring out how to save the hotel. To make matters worse they only had three days left. She sipped her lukewarm tea and flicked away a leaf that had fallen on the table in front of her. When she noticed someone watching her from another table. 

The old woman looked away when Ayça looked at her, but then would look back at her when she looked away. 

She walked over to her as there were no servers around. 

"Teyze, can I get you something?"

The old woman was well put together she wore a silk blouse with a simple pearl necklace. Her short hair was neatly coiffed and hand painted in shades of caramel and eggshell. The creases in her face crinkling when she smiled as she motioned for her to sit in the empty chair in front of her. Ayça recognized the white candle in front of her, the flame swaying in the breeze.

The woman blew out the candle and pushed it towards Ayça. 

"What do you see?" 

She squinted her eyes as she tried to look past the swirling cloud of smoke "I don't see anything" she told her looking up confusion on her face. 

"Look closely

She looked down again inspecting the well with wax drippings "Im sorry but I don't-" she paused an odd expression coming over face. She moved her head from side to side as she scanned the item before her "there is something here...I think....its a heart" 

The woman smiled and nodded her head as she took the candle and broke it open. "The fisherman left it for you, he said to tell you thank you-" she paused as she slid something towards her "and goodbye." 

Ayça looked down and saw a perfectly shaped white heart.