Chapter Six

The production team had settled in nicely since moving into the hotel several weeks ago. Alp barely came to the hotel and when he did Ayça always seemed to miss him. She had become so busy with the everyday operations that she hadn't progressed much with her grandfathers journal let alone the latest riddle. Meanwhile Selma and Nehir seemed happy to have the hotel back to full capacity and it had slowly begun to transform into a serene and inviting place. Gokrem the towns decorator had draped vibrant airy curtains and thick plush sofas and accent chairs adorned the waiting room. Off to the corner Gokrem had a white piano shipped in from Istanbul at Alps expense, which she heard he was not thrilled about. They were lucky that the production team was not demanding and were patient with the renovations of the hotel. One morning as Ayça was busy dusting and primping the pillows after the team had left for work she heard a loud voice around the corner. 

"Burak! You have to take it! Its a matter of life or death!" she screamed as she hung up her phone. 

"Is everything okay?" Ayça asked her cousin who was pacing like a caged animal and was kicking a rock around with her foot.

"Ayça he is going to take away our hotel" 

"Who?" 

"Namik! Burak says he found some documents that gave him ownership of the land and this hotel, he is having lunch today with his lawyers to give them the documents"  

"Burak?" 

"My boyfriend, he works for the law firm that represents Namik" she kicked the rock forcefully and it skitted across the pavement "But he is too chicken shit to steal them" 

"Nehir calm down, we have Alp beys support. Surely he wouldn't want his whole team to be displaced and not when he has spent so much to restore this hotel" 

"Don't you understand...even if Namik takes back the hotel surely he will let them stay here until they finish filming" 

"Where are they meeting?" 

"Two pm at Otel Hezen" 

Ayça bit her lip nervously, she watched as a black ribbon fluttered in the wind. It was part of the neckties of one of the waiters they had hired for when the team had meals at the hotel. It had gotten to be too difficult for just the three of them to serve the team of 40 people. When suddenly a brilliant idea dawned on her. 

Otel Hezen was in a much better state than she had expected. Sure part of it had a thick layer of soot and ash but that section was cordoned off with red velvet. But the part that remained opened to the public was grandiose. Well polished black and white marble floors glistened as the sunlight streamed in from floor to ceiling arched windows. The view outside was breathtaking and gave 365 views of the ocean. Expensive furniture was placed in strategic locations and thick drapes cascaded down in perfect segments. No wonder he didn't stay at their hotel. Ayça looked around in awe at the beauty of this hotel. 

"Excuse me, can I help you?" 

She turned to see a woman with a tight bun at the nape of her neck and half moon spectacles looking her up and down, her mouth a tight line. 

"Im one of the new waitress, can you please point me in the direction of the kitchen?" Ayça flashed her a smile and looked down at her feet. The woman huffed and rolled her eyes as she motioned for her to follow down the hall. Ayça felt so uncomfortable in the attire she was wearing and had to keep adjusting it so that she didn't burst out the top. The white button down and black skirt that she had borrowed from Nehir were two sizes too small and she prayed she didn't have to bend down at any moment. 

The woman looked down at her crocodile high heel loafers "next time pick a more sensible shoe" and without a second glance she briskly disappeared around the column.