Chapter 26

"How many times do I have to say 'I told you so' before you get it?" asked Rose. Kaaalis lamang ni Moira, leaving him frozen in his spot. Ramdam na ramdam pa rin niya ang sampal nito. Hindi pa man nito sinasabi kung ano'ng kasalanan niya ay alam na niya kung ano iyon. Ganoon ba ang tingin nito sa ginagawa niya? That he's toying with her life?

"Did you tell her?" he asked grimly.

Rose crossed her arms. "Now you're questioning my loyalty?"

"I'm not—I'm sorry." He sat on his chair.

"Nalaman ko lang din kanina na alam nya. If you want to know how, then ask her. Fix this mess. Ikaw rin naman ang may gawa nito."

"I don't understand, Rose. I thought she'd realize that I want her here."

Rose's eyes widened. "Really? Are you that thick-headed? Vince, your actions confused her. Kahit ako man, iisipin ko rin na pinahihirapan mo ako. And knowing Moira, she's already feeling inadequate kasi lahat ng gusto ni Kelvin, naibibigay mo, pero sya hindi. She doesn't need this, especially not from you."

"I didn't mean to make her feel that way," depensa niya.

"Well too bad, because that's exactly what she feels right now."

--

"O? Akala ko ba may trabaho ka? Bakit nandito ka na?"

Sinundan ni Moira ng pinsan paakyat sa kwarto niya. Ibinato niya sa kung saan ang bag at saka sumubsob sa kama.

"Moira?"

She thrashed. "He's such a jerk! Bwisit sya! Ang gago nya!"

She screamed against her pillow, then pounded on her bed hanggang sa manghina ang mga braso niya. Naramdaman niyang lumundoy ang kama.

"Ano ba kasi ang nangyari?"

Tumunghay siya. The pillow's already smeared with her makeup. She didn't realize that she's already crying.

She told Neri the story. Kahit ito ay hindi rin maintindihan kung bakit ginawa iyon ni Vince.

"Bakit naman nya gagawin 'yon? Parang ang immature naman."

Wala rin siyang maisagot. Parang pakiramdam tuloy niya, nakikipagkumpitensya siya rito para sa atensyon ng anak niya. Isa ito sa mga ayaw niyang mangyari. Vince is from the high society. He could do anything, buy anything and provide anything for Kelvin. Unlike her, who has to work really hard just to keep her son from starving.

--

"She's not answering her phone."

Kanina pa niya tinatawagan si Moira pero nagri-ring lang ang phone nito, walang sumasagot.

"Of course, she won't answer," Rose said as a matter-of-factly.

Gusto sana niya itong puntahan sa bahay nito para kausapin, pero may importanteng meeting siya in five minutes. He can't cancel it now. Rose seemed to be having the same idea.

"Should I cancel your meeting?"

He shook his head. "No, my father's going to be there."

It's risky enough na kabi-kabilang blind dates ang ikinakansela niya. It's one thing to cancel the dates. He can make his father think that he's just not insterested. Pero iba ang trabaho. Work is sacred for his father.

"So, ano'ng plano mo? Lo-lowbatt-in mo na lang 'yong phone nya?"

He grunted. Right now, he needs to start thinking about the meeting that will happen in a few minutes. It's the same old, boring stuff—Natigilan siya. He held that thought. Since when did work become so boring?