Chapter 4: The Good Butterflies

I gasped.

When I woke up I was back inside my car. I rubbed my head; and it was sweating. For some reason, I still shiver. Was that all a dream?

"Spirit?" I whispered.

I'm dumb. Of course the spirit wouldn't just come back here out of know where like she... he... did last time. I was about to overthink things again, until I heard a Christmas carol sung by a lady. She was singing in the most beautiful voice I've ever heard.

"Have yourself a merry little Christmas~"

I looked out the window to realize it was that aqua haired girl. Hailey? I think that's what her name is. Beside her was that man; Zander and a purple haired girl who looks like a 11 year old beside him. She ran away to look at all the shops nearby.

Without thinking, I forced myself to get out of my car and go say hi to them. I quickly put on my scarf and ran towards 'the music duo' or at least I think that's what I used to call them.

I saw a hat filled with money inside and put the most dollars and coins I had in my pocket. It was about 500 dollars. When the man noticed this, he quickly stopped me.

"Wait! Mister...You put a lot of money in here."

I chuckled lightly. "Isn't that what I was suppost to do? Your sister's voice sounded so good I had to give away my money to you."

"Wow, thank you, sir... Honestly, It's the first time someone didn't mistaken me and my sister as a couple--"

"Oh, who's this stranger?" The lady skipped towards us. She noticed the hat full of money and looked at me suspiciously.

"Oh! This is--" the man paused, forgetting to get my name.

I froze. I did bully them when I was in highschool, and I did remember Zander didn't take me very seriously back in the day. "You probably don't recognize me, but I'm actually..." I scratched my head. "Drew, from highschool?"

When I said this, the purple one glared at me. He clenched his fists and growled. His sister gently pushed him away and looked towards me. Her face seems like she almost trusted me. I tried to smile. "What are you doing here?"

"I-I... I just want to apologize for what I did to you before back in highschool." I put my hands together. "I know money isn't really the best present in the world; it's selfish and stupid of me to be apologizing right now and not like...4 years ago, but I realized everything I did was completely wrong, so I wanna do things right from now on. Especially when it's almost Christmas."

Hailey smiled at me and then looked at Zander who looks a little bit like he wanted to trust me, but not quite. If I was in his shoes, I would do the same. But, even if he doesn't except my apology, I still apologized and that's all that matters. Zander groaned, giving up. "Fine, we're good."

"Thank you, Zander!"

His eyes widened. "You still remember my name?"

"Of course I do. And your sister, Hailey."

The lady nodded, giggling.

I smiled, when I finally had their trust, it was time to tell them what is on my mind in entire time. "If you don't mind me saying. When I first saw you, you had a boyfriend, and I don't see him here."

When I said this, Zander's face darkened. His eyes looks like he was about to cry. When he couldn't speak, Hailey did it for him. "Yes, his name was Luke."

Luke... Luke...as in...

Luke Peterson!? The spirit?!

"He... He disappeared." Zander finally spoke. He swallowed. "He was on a trip to see his family from out of this city. He said he'll be home by Christmas time, but he's been gone ever since. We called his parents, family, but they have no idea where he is either. He never responded. The same thing happened to our other friend..."