-backstory

created: december 8th 2021

———
almost three years ago

We were all standing on the balcony when Carl dropped the lighter, and the whole barn caught on fire. I backed away from the balcony, and I heard two gunshots. "Come on, let's go!" Rick yelled as he made his way to the window. I climbed out onto the RV and climbed down, and as I backed away from the walkers, you heard Rick yell, "This way!"

I ran behind Rick, but I saw Max running into the woods. "Max!" I yelled and chased after him, ignoring Rick's warnings. Rick and Carl followed me quickly, but I was too focused on finding my brother. He was the only family I had left, and I wasn't going to leave him behind.

Finally, I caught up with Max, and I tried to reason with him. "Come on, let's go back," I told him. "We need to go back to them." But Max was scared. "There's nothing to go back to!" he argued. "They're probably dead like Mom and Dad. You want to be dead too?"

I shook your head, feeling the weight of the situation on your shoulders. I knew that I needed to be strong for Max, but I also knew that I couldn't do it alone. "We need to stick together," I said firmly. "We need to go back to them."

"I can't go back there!" Max exclaimed, his eyes wide with fear. "But we can't survive alone," I argued, trying to reason with him. Max replied, "There's nothing to go back to! They're probably dead like Mom and Dad. You wanna be dead too?"

I shook my head, feeling the weight of the situation on my shoulders. I knew that we needed to stick together if we were going to survive, but I also knew that Max was scared. I took a deep breath and said,  I could see the fear in Max's eyes, and I knew that he wasn't going to change his mind easily. I took a deep breath and said, "I don't want to be dead, but I also don't want to be alone. We need to stick together if we're going to survive."

Max hesitated for a moment, but then he shook his head. "I can't do it," he said firmly. "I won't go back there. I'll find my own way."

I felt a lump form in my throat as I watched Max turn and walk away. I knew that I couldn't force him to come with me, but I also knew that he was making a mistake.

I drew in a long, steady breath and began to follow him, my heart heavy with the weight of my mission, My intention was to convince him to reconsider his decision before it was too late before we strayed too far from the path that led us to the safety of our group.

 Regrettably, my efforts were for nought and we ended up remaining together, leaving me unable to return to Rick and Carl.

——