6

"Why, what happened?" Bonnie asked worriedly.

"On the last full moon Elena was there, my little brother, Henrik, begged Nik to take him to watch the werewolves change. He was very insistent upon it, not stopping until Nik finally agreed. They were in a tree, but the branch broke, causing Henrik to be noticed by the wolves. When Nik jumped down, the wolves all backed away, but it was too late. My brother died that night." I replied, still remembering my little brother like it was yesterday.

"That's what started it all, wasn't it?" Bonnie asked, tearing me from my memories.

"Yes, the next night, we all had dinner as a family, in memory of Henrik. I had noticed the wine tasted a bit different, but thought nothing of it because my mind was preoccupied. Afterwards, Elena and I went home. About halfway through the night, I had woken up. I heard Elena's screams coming from our room, so I rushed in, only to see my father pulling a sword from her chest. I could feel the magic, and knew she was not fully dead. I started panicking, then noticing that my mother had come in and taken something from us. I knew I was next, and I used every ounce of magic in me to send Elena back. In the end, that's what killed me, even though my fathers sword still pierced my heart. When I woke, Elena was gone. I knew it had worked. I went to seek out my mother, to find what she had taken from us, but Niklaus had beaten me to it. She was dead, her heart laying next to her body. It was only then that I realized the hunger." I said, letting a tear slip from my eyes.

"So Elena is an Original?" Bonnie asked quietly. "Is that why she will need our help?"

"Yes, she is an Original now, but no. That's not why she will need our help. She has been a vampire before, she already knows how to control it." I said truthfully.

"How long was Elena in the past?" Bonnie asked quickly.

"Just over a year." I replied, relishing in all the moments I spent with her.

"What did your mother take away from you that night, Kol?" Bonnie asked the question that I was dreading. Her voice had a strange tone to it.

"Why are you asking?" I asked before answering, wanting to know what she knew.

"Because I think I can help. I remembered seeing something in one of the Grimoires that my Grams used to use, she said it was very old, Ayanna's I think?" My eyes snapped open to look at her.

"What did you say?" I asked quickly.

"Ayanna's Grimoire. Why? Did you know her?" Bonnie asked. I was so surprised I could have screamed. It could have the answers I searched for, for a thousand years.

"Yes, she was my mothers best friend, your distant relative. What did it say?" I asked quickly.

"I remember something written about a very powerful magical Aurora or something like that. But it was in a different language, I couldn't read it all." I couldn't believe my ears. I needed that Grimoire. But I couldn't do anything unless I was alive.

"I need that Grimoire. It's the only thing that will help Elena when she arrives, which will be on the summer solstice, two days from now." I said, knowing that we needed to get to work.

"But we can't get it or help Elena unless we are alive. Wait, are you suggesting that we try to open the veil from inside?" She asked incredulously.

"What's the worst that can happen, Ms. Bennett? We are already dead." I said honestly. She saw my point immediately.

PAST ELENA POV

The two weeks flew by so quickly, it was like I blinked and they were gone. I was getting married tomorrow. Everything was prepared already, and I was staying the night with Rebekah while Kol's brothers took him out.

"Are you ready for tomorrow?" Rebekah asked as we laid in her bed.

"Yes. I can't believe I'm getting married tomorrow." I said honestly. How much my life had changed in just a few weeks.

"He loves you, you know? I can see it in his eyes when he look at you." Rebekah replied, making my heart start beating much faster.

"You really think so?" I asked quickly.

"Of course, can you not see it? He is around you every spare moment he has, he fawns over you like you are some type of goddess, yet he treats you as his equal. He is clearly in love with you." I felt like a giddy high school girl.

He had taken to teaching me sword fighting and horse riding in our spare time. I was actually getting quite good. At night, he would tell me stories until I fell asleep, usually in his arms, though no one else knew that. He was a gentleman, though, never trying anything other than to steal a kiss. I felt this energy every time I was with him that I had never felt with anyone else. I felt safe and loved. I was beginning to feel something for him much stronger than I had ever felt with Stefan or Damon.

"I think I may love him too, Bekah." I said before drifting off to sleep, silently hoping that I would never get sent back to the future, for I had everything I ever wanted here.