Chapter 12- Spencer

Spencer's heart was aching with questions. Signaling off the nearest patrol officer and guiding Ian through the safety procedures, he was about ready to burst into chatter. "So, uh- it's Ian right"? He awkwardly asked, rubbing his bristled neck with his hand. Ian slowly nodded, pulling his blond hair nervously; still trying to process the new environment. "Cool name." They walked alongside one another, the dim streetlights flickering and fizzling near their presence, as if they were welcoming someone. The cheap cobblestone cracked under their feet as Ian tried to dodge any sharp edges, gently grazing his heel under a shard of concrete, wincing as he lifted his foot, a warm stream of red liquid forming and pattering like raindrops on the stones. "Oh that looks bad," Spencer whisper-hissed with a worried gaze. Ian, now even more uncomfortable with this absolute stranger following them around this unfamiliar environment, was now embarrassed that they had hurt themselves to an extent someone else noticed. "It's fine." He mumbled, quickly keeping his bloodied hands to his side as his pace got quicker in the street.

"Shit." Spencer hissed under his breath as he raced to catch up with the limping stranger, hoping to prevent them from doing anything reckless.
Hey wait"! He called out, his brain going a million miles an hour to try and word every sentence, word, syllable, perfectly. "Do you like tea"? He yelled out.
"What"?
"Leaf- the uh- annoying one you met, they run a spice and medic shop. But there's a shortcut through their basement to a creek where the really chill tea-maker lives."

Ian didn't really see any other option. There was a very high chance he could die and this stranger would be a serial killer, but considering how awful his life already was, that was a risk he was willing to take.

"Fine." He wheezed into the cold night, slowing down his pace to turn and meet the stranger, who looked even more out of shape. "What's your name again"?

"Spencer."

"I feel so sorry for your parents."

For the first time in a long time, Spencer genuinely laughed. "Don't be, I have two moms."

That set the tone for the rest of the night.

The rest of the walk was done in pure silence. There were no crickets in Prideland and by the queens' orders, soundproofed windows seemed to be quite handy in this circumstance as the castle was immediately out of view from the town square. The Clove's freshly scrubbed bronze sign shined brightly in the distance and the oak door was already propped open with a brick of dried thyme. As if Leaf already knew they were coming.

Spencer carefully stepped inside, turning around and signaling for Ian to follow him. Gently standing on his toes, he grabbed a damp box of matches above the doorway and slid the lantern next to him with his fingers, carefully pushing it off the edge until it fell into Ian's arms. Sliding his gentle fingers on the concrete, he swung and the match exploded to life as he carefully contained it under the wax wick, slamming the lantern lid closed and shaking the dry match of oxygen, before letting it fall flatly under the floor, crushing the pine stick with his shoe. They shared a glance in the dim light.

"It's right through here" Spencer said, jumping over Leaf's counter. Ian hesitated, taking one look back outside before following, not noticing the cloaked figure that drifted by the shop windows.

Ian's hands were shaking more than ever as he followed, his mind racking all possibilities of running away. As the two boys made their way down to the cellar, a lamp sparked to life, revealing a very exhausted Leaf sitting in a dust coated bean bag chair with small pellets spilling out as they moved around to get comfortable. They flipped their braid over their shoulder and sighed deeply. "No. Absolutely not." They groaned into their hands.