Unexpected

"Just a few more days and they will be ready for the first round of doses." Dr. Burke said, as he looked through one of the windows that looked down over the training arena. It was a one way glass so people on the inside of the lab could look out, but no one could look in. It was meant to be a hidden observation part of the lab that no else went up to besides the lab workers.  

"First doses? I thought we were doing one large dose?" Sheldon asked confused, as he looked up from his data pad that had a hologram popped up from it. 

"Ah, my young apprentice, you have much to learn about test subjects and first-time experiments." Dr.Burke sighed as he walked over to Sheldon and put a hand on his shoulder; before he walked away to the railing, which overlooked down into the rest of the lab on the other side down below them. Where his other assistants were still working and gathering the test tubes of the green matter into appropriate containers. Green light illuminated the room with a few hints of regular lighting coming from a few lamps and lite up shelving to hold the tubes.  He put his arms behind his back, admiring his work beginning unfolding before his eyes. 

"But we've done it on a few rodents and other small subjects? Even though it ended in tragedy..." Sheldon said with a haunted look as he looked away to the ground briefly, saying the last part in a whisper. 

"Yes, we have but not on human subjects." Dr. Burke said as he broke away from the overlook at Sheldon's words. He turned and walked back to the table Sheldon was sitting at. A single test tube of the green substance sat on the table in the single dim light that was hanging above it as he grabbed it and gazed at it in the dim lighting, as it illuminated with green reflecting off of his glasses. 

"I have waited many months in attempt to locate these 5 individuals, it was nearly possible just to convince the council to let their best soldiers be taken away! Which was a task in itself- besides trying to find trusted staff and the funding to make this base possible! But with everything I've done for them, I'm more than enough for an exception." He said with some sarcasm and confidence in his last remark. 

"I was able to get the first part of this operation done, now it's just the matter of filling in the rest." He exhaled and placed the test tube back into his inside pocket. "But I digress, once this experiment is complete it's only a matter of time until we're able to spread this operation even further."

"Further sir?" Sheldon asked raising his gaze to meet Burkes back to him; as Burke went back to looking out the window that over saw the training arena below on the other side of the one-way glass. 

"Yes... Soon we'll be able to spread this amazing discovery to the other soldiers, you were aware of this discussion before Sheldon." He said with a dead stare before he sighed "But alas, one matter at a time." 

Sheldon could only look on with a concerning look as his professor returned to his previous stance. 

'Spread further...'  His thoughts echoed. 

"Are the testing pods ready?" Dr. Burke said, still staring ahead.

"The equipment staff are working on them now; from what I can see on their last report status they're doing their final run through test and making sure the holding cells are fully secure." Sheldon responded as he searched through his data pad and adjusted his glasses; the hologram of the report popping up before his gaze. 

"Excellent. Go get some sleep Sheldon and be sure to tell the support staff to send out the turn in announcement." 

"Isn't it a little redundant to send out a turn in alarm for some- how do I say it... rather rebellious soldiers such as them sir?" Sheldon questioned with an arched brow, with some interest.

"I prefer the term "veteranized."

Caught off guard, both Dr. Burke and Sheldon turned towards the unknown voice that was neither of theirs. Looking towards the dark figure in shadows that reached the top of the stairs that led up to the balcony they were on. 

"How did you get in here?!" Sheldon said as he stood up in panic.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"You wanted to ask me something didn't you?" Kata said more as a statement. Turning her head towards Desi, still laying in the chair. 

"Well, um..." Desi stumbled with her words, as she pushed herself up from laying on her stomach to sitting on her knees, averting her gaze from Kata's stare.

"I- I was just wondering..." She trailed off starting to fiddle with the blanket she was sitting on. "Well actually there is a lot of things I'm wondering, I'm just not sure which one I can ask about yet..." She said the last part in a whisper. 

Kata turned her head back up towards the ceiling as she sighed with her eyes closed. Her hand clenched behind the chair out of Desi's sight into a fist. 

'This is the second worst thing I feared I would have to deal with... But it's Desi... I can only handle so much in a day!' Kata thought to herself before she was cut away from her thoughts.

"No- it's not fair of me to ask you so many questions right away, or even at all!" Dezi spoke up with a bit more authority this time; Moreso to herself then at Kata. 

"I just have one very important question... Are we still sisters?" She finally uttered, almost afraid to ask.

Kata unclenched her hidden fists and eased, as her eyebrows furrowed into confusion. She shot up from her chair and stared at Desi, who was looking down at the blanket beneath her. Kata walked over to the side of the bed and stared down at Dezi in a harsh yet concerning look, as some of her hair fell over her face.

"Of course we are. Nothing's changed that." Kata said breaking the silence, easing her stare slightly.  

Desi's eyes widened a bit as she finally looked up to meet Kata's gaze. 

Desi let out a sigh of relief before she lunged herself at Kata and hugged her tightly around the waist, as her face buried into Kata's chest. Kata was caught off guard for a second and tensed up at Desi's surprise hug but eased a bit for Desi's sake. 

"Attention subjects and soldiers, it is time to turn in to your designated dorms. No exceptions." A voice rang through the speakers of the base.

"What are we prisoners now?" Desi said with a bit of sass as she broke away from the hug to stare up where the voice was coming from. 

"No its just Burke and his pets thinking they can control what they can't." Kata said as she stared up as well. 

Desi looked back up at Kata with a smile. Kata looked ack down at her with soft eyes and a half smile. She wasn't as good as showing as showing emotions like Desi was, but Desi knew that. 

"Well who are we to disobey orders right?" Desi said with smirk as she shrugged with an emphasis of sarcasm. 

Kata smiled with a scoff knowing what she really meant by that. Having a brief flashback when they were growing up and disobeying alot of orders. Only to do things their way to get missions done. 

Desi got off from the bed and started walking towards to the door as is slid open at her approach. She stopped for a second to look back at Kata with a soft smile. 

"See you in the morning." Desi said as she left the room, as the doors slid shut behind her.

Kata's half smile left her face after the doors slid shut, as she turned back to look at her helmet to have its black visor meet her gaze. 

"We're in for it now, aren't we..."