Chapter Sixteen

one month later

I'm on my way home from work. It's not a really great job, but it helps me get by. I'm just a cashier at a clothing store. I moved back to Cole's house. Technically it's our house but it never felt like it. As much as the world knows, Cole went missing. The house was lended to me and I've went on with my life normally. I do hide the cut on my throat though. I don't want anyone asking questions.

I still can't believe that I had managed to get away from Brahms. How I had the guts to stab him. I'm shocked at myself for not calling the cops on him. There is just something keeping me from doing that. So, I chose to leave it alone. But I do find myself thinking of him a lot. Is he alive? Is he dead? I'll never know. I mean I would if I went looking for him, but there's no way I'm even getting near that property again.

I pull into my gravel driveway that reaches to the backside of the house. Once I park, I grab my bag and get out, I then go over to my back door and unlock it and step inside. The house isn't extremely small, but it isn't that big either. Two bedrooms, and one bath. I go to the left into my bedroom and set my bag on the king sized bed. I take my shirt off, tired of wearing the uncomfortable thing, and pull on an oversized t shirt. I then slide my pants off and slip on some shorts.

Once dressed, I go to my living room that is just past the kitchen. I plop down on the couch and turn on the tv and let it play on some random channel.

Ding.

My phone makes a noise in my hand. I glance at it to see that Jackson, from my work, texted me. We met after everything, obviously. He's been my best friend ever since I got the job.

"It alright if I come over? I promise to bring snacksss"

He is really bribing me with bringing snacks. And of course I'm going to give in, its snacks.

"Well..since you're getting snacks I guess it's okay"

I'm suddenly really excited. Maybe I should change into better clothes. I don't want to seem broke in front of him. So, I get up and change into leggings, a lace top, and a cardigan over it. Lazy looking but also dressy. I run my hands through my hair for a minute to fix the fly-aways before sitting back down on the couch in my living room.

~~~

It wasn't long until I heard a knock at my back door. I quickly get up and walk through the house to the door and open it to reveal Jackson. He's taller than me and has very dark brown curly hair. And he has the prettiest blue eyes I've ever seen.

"Heyy come inn" I smile at him and he walks past me and I shut the door behind him and I turn back around and lead him to the living room.

"You live here all alone?"

"Yeah, has for a long while."

"It doesn't ever get lonely?" He tosses a bag of chips to me and slides his shoes off.

"Well yeah, sometimes. But it's fine I guess." I shrug.

"A pretty girl like you shouldn't have to feel lonely." He clicked on some show. He always calls me pretty. I've grown used to it. It's just in his nature I guess.

"If you say so" I lay my head on his shoulder and direct my attention to the show.

Not long after that, I feel his hand on my thigh. It scares me at first, I don't jump or anything, but it does scare me. I haven't let a man do that in a long time. I almost forgot what it feels like. A familiar feeling runs through my stomach. No way. There is no way. Butterflies. I haven't ever thought of guys ever since Brahms. I don't think I like Jackson. I mean..certainly I don't...do I?

Maybe it's not such a bad thing.