Chapter Thirteen

"So you're a fan of Richard Castle?" Javier remarked and took a sip of his wine and looked around Kate's small apartment. She had offered Javier come back to her place after work to finish their conversation from earlier. Kate trailed her fingers up the long stem of her own glass and stared at the table. Javier offered a sweet smile.

Kate chuckled. "Yeah. I am. It's kind of a long story." Her eyes brushed past the copy of Derrick Storm: Storm Gathering sitting on display on her bookshelf.

"Kate?" Johanna asked and sat up.

"Hi Mama," Kate sighed and sat at the end of the white, stiff bed. "How are you feeling?"

"Just a little sore." Johanna smiled. She'd never reveal how much pain she was actually in. "I have something for you, Katie." Johanna smiled and reached out to hand Kate a napkin wrapped box. Kate brushed off the napkins and held up a Richard Castle book. Derrick Storm: Storm Gathering.

"To miss Kate B. - Richard Castle" was written on the inside cover. Kate beamed at her mother and began to dive into the book.

"Have you read anything by him?" Kate asked, leaning forward.

"No actually, I haven't." Javier flushed lightly.

"I believe there's a book signing tonight. Would you want to go? Maybe I can interest you in your first Rick Castle book?" Kate cracked a grin and Javier lit up.

"Sure. What the hell?" Javier guffawed. A light smirk pulled across Kate's lips as she gathered her keys and fresh Castle book, grabbing Javier by the wrist and pulling him out to her car.

"We can go for ice cream afterward."

"Would you like me to get the one cream while you get your book signed?" Javier offered sweetly

"That would be great." Kate smiled and stepped inside the library. Rick sat at his desk with a pen in hand. He looked up and his eyes sparkled.

"You can make it out to Kate Beckett." Kate smiled. "So how has the signing been?"

"Long. Thankfully it's almost over." Rick whispered as he signed her book. "I'll see you later, Kate."

"Bye." Kate turned to leave.

"Who would you like me to make this out to?" Kate heard Rick ask as she walked to the ice cream parlor. Waiting outside under a street light, Javier finally came out with two cones.

"I didn't know if you liked chocolate or vanilla so I just got one of each. I'm not picky." Javier walked up to her.

"I'll take the chocolate one. Thank you!" Kate licked the cold ice cream as it melted on her tongue. "Delicious."

Javier laughed as he opened the door for Kate. She thanked him and slid into the car. Javier waved to a person behind the car. Kate turned but the figure had turned away from her. She shrugged it off. Javier drove back to her apartment.

"Would you like some alcohol?" Kate offered and opened her liquor cabinet. "Jim Bean?"

"Sounds great!" Kate poured a glass for herself and Javier. "So what made you want to become a detective?" Kate asked.

"I actually worked in the 54th for a short time after I got out of the military. Private Ops." Javier took a pull of his alcohol and sighed. Kate followed in suit and leaned back, her muscles already relaxing. A bottle later, Kate laid her head down on the table and slept.

"Kate?" Javier asked and shook her shoulder. He gently picked her up and carried her over to the stairs, debating whether or not to try to find her room or just set her on the couch. He decided to at least try to find her room. With fluid movements, Javier carried her down a little hall in the back, instantly finding a room that clearly screamed, "Kate." Pictures of her mother, father and her lined the walls and surfaces. Javier walked over to the bed and set her down, careful not to distrust her slumber. He pulled the sheets up and looked down at her. Kate's mouth hung open slightly and she snored. He cracked a smile and bent down to push away her caramel hair from her eyes. He placed a light kiss above her left eye brow before turning to leave, shutting the door behind her. He fished his keys out of his pocket and tossed them on the small coffee table near a couch. He found some blankets after a quick search and laid down on the couch in the living room, his eyes immediately falling shut.