Chapter Eleven

Johanna was finally being released today and Kate, Jim and of course, Rick were all there to celebrate. Kate and Jim had rushed about the past few days trying to accommodate their small apartment for Johanna. Today was the big day and Kate's heart flip flopped inside of her chest as Johanna was wheeled out to the lobby. Jim signed release papers and she was their's again. The grin that formed across Kate's face couldn't be stopped as she bent down to receive a hug from Johanna. Nothing could pull Kate away from the wonderful feeling seeping through her chest, out to her fingers, down to her toes. Not even Rick with his endless drawl about a new book he was creating could shake the feeling. Not even the gloomy clouds blanketing the beautiful city. Kate was unable to force away the smile that hurt her cheeks by now, frankly she didn't want to push down that smile.

In the month Johanna was in the hospital, Kate and Rick grew closer. Kate needed someone strong to lean on, Rick needed her. Simple as that. He yearned for her touch, even just an accidental brush. He needed it, craved it. He invited Kate out to dinner three months after that. They had a lovely time.

"Kate, are you free this Wednesday?"

"Yeah. What's up, Rick?"

"Would you want to go out to dinner?"

"Yes!"

"How about you come over to my house and we can go from there. My mother is dying to meet you." Rick informed Kate with a grin.

"What time do you want me to come over?" Kate twisted a stand of hair.

"Around 7? I'll have to put Alexis to bed but you can talk to mother then." Rick's eyes twinkled.

On Wednesday night, Kate rushed home and scoured through closet. She must have tried on five dresses, carefully examining them on her body before stripping them off. A pile was growing on her bed.

"What are you doing?" Johanna asked politely and stood in the closet doorway. Kate turned around. "I think you should wear this." She produced a bag from behind her back. Kate pulled out the sleek black dress and ogled at it.

"Mom thank you! It's gorgeous." Kate wrapped her arms around Johanna's shoulders. Kate slipped the dress over her head and looked in the mirror. It exposed her curves and figure nicely. It had an open back and a scoop neck. The dress fell just above her knees. Kate gasped at the figure in the mirror. She grabbed a pair of heels and an onyx necklace.

Johanna gasped behind her. "Oh baby, you look phenomenal!" Jim walked past the room but stopped short.

"Whoa! Johanna, what happened to Katie?" He teased.

"Alright, I have to go. Bye mom, bye dad." Kate smiled and pecked their cheeks.

Kate walked up to Rick's door and knocked. Rick opened the door a moment later, his wide smile fading into a look of awe as his eyes glided up and down Kate's body, taking in every detail.

"Wow Kate, you look absolutely amazing!"

Kate blushed and looked at Rick. He wore black dress pants and shoes, a lavender shirt, and a black silk tie. Kate felt her jaw ajar and she quickly snapped it shut.

"Please, come in." Rick swept his hand into his loft, welcoming her in. He introduced Kate to Martha and Alexis, apologizing for not being able to get Alexis to bed sooner.

Rick sat back and watched Kate chase Alexis around, per her request, for the millionth time. Kate caught her, picked her up and set her down on the couch gently. Kate then proceed to tickle Alexis. Alexis squealed and squirmed but couldn't escape Kate's grasp. Rick laughed in delight.

Next Kate sat down and talked with Martha about various actresses and actors, performances both on and off stage and theater in general. They shared a glass of wine and a couple of jokes.

"Alright, Alexis, sweetie. Time for bed." Rick scooped up Alexis which made her laugh again.

"Daddy, could Kate put me to bed?" Alexis looked up at him with huge blue eyes. He looked up at Kate, who nodded. Rick handed Alexis to Kate and they walked upstairs to Alexis' room. Alexis insist they read a bed time book. She picked one out and Kate was clearly impressed at the reading level.

Kate read the book through once and craned her neck to look at Alexis. She was sleeping soundly, nestled in to Kate. Kate gingerly pried herself away from Alexis and glanced St the clock to find it read 8:56. Not bad. She and Rick could still go for a drink or two. Kate crept downstairs to find Rick on the couch waiting for her. He looked up and a tired smiled spread across his face.

"It started snowing." He said and pointed to the dark window. "It's pretty bad already. Do you still want to go out?"

"Maybe I should just head home?" Kate suggested.

"What? No, you can stay. I make some mean margaritas and bloody Marys." Rick stood up and stretched his long body.

Two bloody Marys later, Kate was ready to throw in the towel. She and Rick checked the window to see sheets of snow assaulting the earth.

"No. I'm not going to let you drive back home in that while slightly intoxicated." Rick stated boldly.

"Rick, I need to go home."

"Im not letting you. You can stay the night, I'll let you borrow some clothes, and in the morning, granted we aren't snowed in, you can go home." Rick was gone before Kate could argue. He returned with a towel, shirt, pair of athletic shorts and a blanket crawled in his arms.

"Here. You can thank me tomorrow." He said with a sly grin and a wink.

"Are you going to bed now?" Kate wanted to stay up longer and delve further into the mysterious details of Rick Castle's life. She felt the fatigue set in and yawned.

"I may not be, but you are. Oh, there are no spare bedrooms."

"When were you planning on telling me that?"

"You can sleep in my bed."

"Rick, I-"

"Not like that. Nothing will happen, I promise." Rick chuckles and led Kate upstairs to his room. She gasped at the enormity of his room and bed. Rick grinned and let Kate changed in the bathroom. She did so, desperately trying to comb through her wild hair and rub off makeup. Kate threw on the shirt that fell half way down her thighs. She stepped into the shorts, but found it all to baggy and loose. She ditched the pants and pulled Rick's shirt down farther. Kate neatly folded her dress and checked the mirror one last time. She knocked on the door to see if she could come out and Rick answered yes. A slight jolt of panic erupted from her chest as she feared what she might be getting into. She slipped out of the bathroom and made her way quickly under the covers. Rick climbed under the covers next in a short and pair of pajama pants. Kate felt her pulse lessen when she realized he was clothed. He turned off the light and Kate snuggled down under the warm comforter and let her eyes droop shut.

Rick woke with a start. He stretched out and jolted awake. A sleeping body lay at his side. He pulled back the comforter to find an angelic like face. Wavy caramel brown hair framed her face like a halo. Katherine Beckett. Her name still sent shivers up his back thinking about her.

Katherine Beckett, his subconscious mused again. What a wonder name. And a wonderful lady.

The dream he just had tugged at his brain. He quietly slipped from the covers and padded downstairs. He grabbed his laptop and propped his feet up on the Cherrywood desk. The laptop flashed on and the very first photo of Kate and him lit up. She had found an old Polaroid camera at her parent's house once and she wanted to give it a try. It was a cute photo if them, both in a happy mood, both joking about. He smiled at the thought but remembered his dream. He pulled up an empty document and began to write.