Chapter 6: A Valuable Asset

Jay left the room, you felt Timber shifting under your feet, watching him close the door.

"Now you have some options, you can write out a whole statement, give us all your files, and leave, but I think you should-"

"I'll help." You interrupted Voight suddenly.

"Sargent I know I'm not a cop anymore but I've had to live for 6 years that he's out there free somewhere, I want to help."  Voight stood up and walked to the door,

"One more thing," Voight walked up to you, you turned to face him.

"The team can be kind of intimidating," He walked past you, you followed him out into the bullpen, Timber attached to your heel.

"Alright everyone this is Olivia Emyrson, she'll been working the case with us, she's a valuable asset to this case." You looked out at the team, all their eyes rest upon you.

"This is Timber." Everyone looked at him, he wagged his tail when you said his name, it was obvious he was a service dog because of his vest, but you didn't mention it.

"This is Adam Ruzek, Kim Burgess, Kevin Atwater, Hailey Upton." Voight said, your eyes scanned the room, he was right, they were kind of intimidating.

"Alright what do we got," Voight said Jay had written Kenny's known past victims on the white board. The team turned around, and faced the board.
You took a deep breath and opened the file box on the desk and began flipping back notes. It's almost as if a switch flipped in your brain, you felt like a cop again.
"Alright, Kenny Adams, is believed to have antisocial personality disorder," You looked out at them, you forgot that nowadays they didn't require them to go through a psych class in the academy, none of them had a clue what you were talking about.
"Which means scientifically, he's more than just a narcissist, he's a sociopath." You explained, the more you spoke the more you calmed down, and your cop instincts kicked in. You paused, pulling a picture of Kenny out of your files and handing it to Jay. Jay taped it on the board under Kenny's name. The team studied his picture, for people who haven't worked with sociopaths, it had to be odd, he looks like any other person.
"A week prior to killing Emily Leonard, the murder Jay and I responded to in 2004, He came into the E.D. needing stitches," you eyes drifted down his medical records, it was odd reading them, you never thought you would be opening this box again.
"Supposedly he cut himself with a broken glass, he had a deep laceration along the palm of his hand."
"So he's on a bed waiting for treatment, when he decides to go for a walk."
"Dr. Charles, head of psychiatry put him on a three day psych hold because he was harassing patients. He said," You flipped a page, to Doctor Charles original assessment of Kenny.
"Kenny Adams was walking around the ed telling patients they were going to die, Kenny got almost an adrenaline kick when he saw some of their reactions, clear signs of sociopathic tendencies."
"So, a sociopath, getting off on peoples pain, he's released after three days. Then, the same day he's released, he kills Emily on the way home." Jay continued, trying to lesson the pressure of the team on you.
You only had a picture of Emily after she died, so you taped that up there. You felt the energy in the room shift when they saw the picture of Emily with a hollow whole in the front of her head.
"Emily is his youngest known victim, sixteen."
"Now, going back a year, in 2003 he kills Sarah triller while staying on a campsite in Indiana." You continued, Jay taped a picture of Sarah Triller, before she was shot in the back of the head on the board.
"The year before, Evelyn Sanchez." You taped her picture up there.
"Kenny traveled a lot, It's how he stayed off the radar so long. State departments don't talk to each other, not without solid evidence, all we had on him was an unrecorded confession to these three murders, but there's likely more." Jay explained.
"Here's the catch, all of his known victims had the same thing in common, they were all 5' 5" and brunette. It could be a coincidence, but its more than likely there was an incident from his past with a 5' 5" brunette and his subconscious is playing out his fantasies." You said, looking out a the team.
"If we can figure out why, we stand a better chance of catching him."
"So I know he's psychopath and all but how does he directly tie to these murders, what evidence do we-?" Adam butted in.
"Kenny is not a psychopath." You interrupted Adam, he was surprised by your sudden sense of authority, you knew how to stand your ground, you wouldn't let people walk all over you.
"Psychopaths don't have a conscience, they don't have morals, they don't have feelings, they don't care, they can't, scientifically the part of their brain that conducts the charge of neurons that we know as emotions is abnormal."

"Psychopaths are unpredictable, they are the worst kind of criminal, not caring is dangerous. I watched a psychopath play suicide by cop and not even flinch when he blew a civilians brains out. Kenny is an awful person but he's not a psychopath."
"Sociopaths have a conscience, but it's weak.  If they kill someone, they might feel some guilt or remorse, but that won't stop them from killing again. Kenny is believed to be a sociopath because he felt enough remorse to close his victims eyes, cross their arms, and he made them turn around before shooting them."
"My bad," Adam walked back to his desk and leaned on it.
"To answer your question we have just about no evidence tying these murders to Kenny."
"Then why are we-" Adam mumbled, he obviously didn't think it was a good use of our time because it was going to require a lot of work.
"Don't interrupt me." You stared straight ahead, in Voights general direction, not even looking at Adam.
"Just because we can't prove it doesn't mean he's not a sadistic serial killer with dozens of victims. It may not be as easy as some of the cases you work, but we put in the work and we lock him up."
"Lets trace phone numbers to all the victims parents, siblings, friends, anyone who might know something and talk to them, it's been 5 years maybe they have more information." The team began running names through the system,
Voight gestered towards his office.
"I'm sorry for taking over, it would have taken to long for you to relay everything I-" you stuttered, thinking you were in trouble.
"No, you did exactly what I wanted you to, you know the case better than anyone in here, as far as I'm concerned, up these stairs you're a cop." Voight reassured you, you stared at him because you didn't know what to say next.
Adam knocked on the door to Voight's office, Vought nodded at him to come in.
"We've got names and addresses," He swung the door open and leaned in, you looked at Voight as if to say, that fast? You followed Adam out with Voight.
"We got three victims, 6 people, I say we split up." The team nodded in agreement.
"Works with me." Adam finally agreed with you.
"You two, you get Evelyn Sanchez." You looked at Adam and Kim who were standing next to eachother, Kim leaned behind Adam and grabbed a list of names and adresses before heading out. Jay walked closer to you as if signaling that you would ride with him.
"Jay, you're with Kevin." You said, looking at Hailey with a slight grin.
"I thought you and I would.." Jay muttered but paused, clearly embarrasing himself.
"No, not you, I want her." You gestured to Hailey, she smirked, you said it with just enough sass to make Jay flustered, something Hailey hadn't seen before.
"I like her." Kevin elbowed Jay, teasing him, Jay stood there clueless.
You walked over to Hailey so that you were shoulder to shoulder.
Voight watched from his office, he normally liked partnerships to be male-female, he thought things ran smoother that way, but he knew better than to argue.
"You take Sarah Triller, we'll take Emily Leonard." You said, Jay gave Hailey his list of addresses for Emily, shooting you one last, "I'm gonna kill you" glance before heading out.
"He's pissed." Hailey let out a laugh she had been stifling.
"We're too close, he'll pull something stupid tryna protect me if I ride with him." You announced, directing it at Hailey but also Voight. He nodded from behind Hailey heading into his office.