Chapter 5: Loop Me in

You walked into the bullpen, all the eyes were on you. Timber, walked beside you and Jay led you into an interrogation room, Voight followed.
Voight down in a chair across from you and Jay stood in the corner behind Voight. Timber went under the table and lied down under your feet.
"Alright, you two, loop me in, walk me through all of it."
You started to walk him through it all.
"6 years ago, I was partnered with Jay, and we responded to a murder, Emily Leonard."
"Typical murder case, gunshot to back of the head, execution style, except for the fact that her eyes were closed."
"I don't read into things that much Sarge, you know that, I deal with things in the moment. She noticed something I didn't."
"So either she closed her eyes before he shot her, or he closed them after he shot her. Clear signs of-"
"Remorse." Voight interrupted,  he knew you weren't a cop anymore, but you could tell Voight liked the way you thought.
"And the fact that he stayed there long enough to do all this, any sane person would have fled or gotten rid of the body. Based on traffic cameras he was there almost 7 minutes after he shot Emily."
"So the guy me an Jay thought was good for this apparently he was hospitalized in the psych ward at Gaffney. I talked to Charles, who treated him, he said that he showed clear signs on a personality disorder and sociopathic tendencies."
"So I dug into him more, Kenny has had two past girlfriends that went missing, Sarah triller and Evelyn Sanchez. But because he traveled a lot he was in different states with each girl when they went missing."
"You know how this works unless the feds are involved the departments don't talk to each other. He wasn't in the systems as a suspect for either disappearance because they haven't found the bodies so he wasn't on anyone radar, he's smart like that."
"So how does all this connect to you? What does he want with you?"
"I worked off books undercover trying to get him to victimize me, if I could push him over that edge I could find enough evidence to put him away."
"When he broke into my apartment, the only thing he said was that I was a lier, he made me, the only thing is, I'm not a cop anymore."
"And when you woke up you realized that he trashed the place right?
"He didn't trash the place," You said, you and Jay exchanged looks, Voight took note of this.
"He was looking for something, his file." Jay said, Suddenly it all clicked for Jay. Voight turned and looked at Jay.
"Serial killers, Sadistic serial killers all have this one flaw, they keep something of the victims. Because they feel some sort of remorse or in a twisted way they want to relive it, it's sort of like a trophy."
"You had something of hers in that file box, that's why he didn't kill you he only wanted the trophy." Voight connected the dots.
"Emily's necklace, It's missing." You looked at Jay, he looked stunned, he knew some of the story, but you tried to keep him out of it when you were building the case. Back then he was a new cop in the unit you were in, you didn't want to screw up his career, you had years of reassurance, or you thought you did.
"I broke a lot of rules trying to catch him, a got a nine month suspension but by the third month, I decided to leave all together."
"After I moved and started working at med he gave up. He moved and I never saw him again." "You were in contact with him?"
"No, an old informant of mine out of Maywood,  he kept in contact with me after I left CPD, he was close with him helping me get evidence."
"Is there anyway we can contact him again?"
"Maybe. When Kenny skipped town he got nervous, he thought he got made."