Chapter 22

I'm parked in front of a building looking at my car when my phone rings.

"I can't talk Caroline." I say.

"Screw talking! What are you doing? Matt just called me saying that you took off in his truck and left him at your place. What's going on Kitana?" she says. She's always blown everything out of proportion.

"I can't talk right now. I'm going to see Klaus." I say.

"Klaus? Why? What's going o-" I hang up and get out.

Apparently, when he came into town, Klaus set up house as Alaric and is staying in his apartment. I approach the apartment when I hear the makings of a deal being made. Apparently, Klaus wants Stefan to drink human blood in order to get the cure. So, there is a cure.

No! I can't faulter right now. I listen at the door, when I hear something slide across the floor or table. No. He can't do this. I burst through the door and to my surprise; Stefan has a blood bag in his hand and there's a vile of blood on the counter island and Katherine's sitting in a chair. Remembering myself, I make a quick mental checklist: do anything necessary to have my way against Klaus, get that bag away from Stefan, get the cure to Damon and get out.

"Nik, don't so this! Let him go. Take me please." I blurt out.

"Well look what we have here. My favorite girl." he says looking back at me.

"Nik please. You don't have to do this. I'll leave with you if that's what you want." I plead with him.

"Who's to say you won't turn tail and run the first chance you get? I think Stefan here would be more loyal, being the life of his brother is on the line." he smirks.

Shaking off my feelings, Do whatever it takes to get the cure out of here, forget about the rest.

"Stefan can't give you the company that I can." I say unzipping my jacket to bring his eyes to my body in hopes of clouding his judgment.

"You would leave with me? Leave all of this behind? No questions asked?" he asks.

"I'll leave with you, right now, under two conditions." I say sauntering over to him and cup his face in my hands.

"You name it, and we can leave this wretched place behind us." he says looking up at me, playing into my every whim.

"Let Stefan go and get the cure to Damon. You do that for me, and we can be done with this place." I breathe as sultry as I can manage.

"How do I know you're not lying?" he asks.

I kiss him as passionately as I had done the night I slept with him. I soon find myself straddled on his lap when he pulls away.

"Stefan, it's your lucky day. I had hoped to take you with me, but this just seems right." he says sliding the vile over to Stefan. "I normally wouldn't do this, but take that to your brother."

"Save your brother Stefan. Thank you for everything." I say with a tight smile.

"You'll be fine?" he says frowning.

"Yes, I'll be perfectly fine. Can I be any safer with an original?" I say gazing at Klaus, "Now, go so that we can be out of your lives forever." I wink at Stefan. Before I know it, he's gone.

"What about Katherine?" I ask Klaus, looking at her, "We won't need her where we're going, will we?" I ask.

"I suppose not sweetheart." he says placing me on my feet before walking to Katherine. He compels her to leave which she does without a moments notice.

"Where were we?" he asks sauntering over and putting his hands on my waist. "You really are a delicacy." he looks into my eyes. "Tell me. Why would you stick your neck out for the likes of The Salvatore's? Why Damon?" he asks as he pushes me to the wall in an almost extremely long kiss. "Why?" he asks when we part.

My whole demeanor changes as I breathe, "Because I love him."

"What?" he growls.

"I love him Klaus." I say more confident. Should I really challenge him right now?

"You've never called me Klaus. You never knew me as Klaus. I was always Nik to you. There's only one other person who calls me Nik. You used me? Again?" he asks.

"I didn't use you the first time. You were delusional, remember. I love Damon and nothing's gonna change that. This was a ruse to get my way. I'm sorry but it had to be done." I say pushing against him to no avail. His eyes darken with complete contempt and rage, as he tightens his hand around my throat. Faster than I can see, something is thrown over his head and he's turned around. His assailant is Katherine.

I hear four consecutive shots from an air soft stake gun I helped Alaric perfect. "Get out of here!" Katherine shouts. She's helping me?

She turns him enough for me to get a clear view of Stefan in the doorway, who's ushering me to run toward him. He's loading the gun with more stakes when I reach him and he shoots into Klaus' legs for good measure.

"Get her out of here Stefan!" she shouts again.

Handing me the stake gun, he scoops me into his arms and next thing I know we're standing by my car.