Chapter 29

QUEENSTOWN IRELAND DECEMBER 10 1928 "OLYMPIC"

I was just leaving the Irish coast when it happened.

Celtic was about 5 miles astern of me, on the same course. The swells were rising as the seas began to get rougher. A storm was on its way. I heard a yowl and looked back in time to see Celtic careening out of control up onto the rocks of Cow and Calf, adjacent to Roches Point.

"Celtic!" I cried. Making an 1800 turn, I raced back towards her. Her starboard side was smashed from the contact with the rocks and she was bleeding heavily from multiple wounds.

"Don't come any closer, Olympic!" She called when she saw me approaching. "You might run aground too." I shrugged. "I'll take my chances." I replied, moving forward.

I felt my bow scrape the rock ledge 30 feet beneath me and stopped, knowing I could not get any closer without sharing Celtic's fate. "We'll get you off there." I said. She shook her head. "No, no one's getting me anywhere." She groaned. "What are you talking about?" I asked. She coughed.

I suddenly remembered Oceanic and how she looked when she was dying. "You have it, don't you?" I asked. She nodded. "Yes, I have it. I've had it for several years now." She said.

"So even if you do get me off this slab of rock, Olympic I'm useless anyway." She added. "You should've told me." I whispered. She smiled. "And add to your list of burdens?" She asked. I sighed. "You were always so secretive this way." I told her.

"I deemed it for the best." She replied. William Parker, my latest captain, interjected. "I'm sorry Olympic but we have to get going." He said. "We have passengers to deliver to New York." I shook my head. "No." I moaned.

"Listen to him, Olympic." Celtic said. "I'm not going anywhere just yet." I nodded. "I'll be back as soon as I can." I whispered. She sighed, closing her eyes.

Reluctantly, I turned about to head for New York. When I docked, I was a bit surprised to see Pennsylvania coming over. "Arizona's in the tropics." She said. I nodded. "Which island?" I asked. "San Salvador." She replied.

"Her favorite island, she must be enjoying herself." I muttered. She smiled. "In terms of the local fruit, yes." She replied. I rolled my eyes. "Which one is it this time, Mango or Guava?" I asked. "Papaya." Pennsylvania replied. I laughed. "Typical, it is her favorite after all." I said. "She's given me a taste or two of it and I can understand where she's coming from." She said.

I heard a bunch of squealing as a squabble broke out among the sailboats. Pennsylvania sighed. "I better break that up. As Arizona's deputy it's my job to keep order around here." She said. "Not an easy task is it?" I asked. She shook her head. "I don't envy Arizona or you at all. How you do it is beyond me." She said. "It comes with experience." I replied.

She turned to go. "A word of advice if I may?" I asked. She paused and nodded, turning back to face me. "Try a playful approach, I find that works best when dealing with sailboats." I said. She nodded. "Thanks, I'll try that Olympic." She said. I dipped my head. "Glad I could help." I said. She smiled and left.

It's amazing how slow time passes just when you want it to go fast. I was impatient to get back out there and rejoin Celtic at the rocks. At last, after the typical three day turnaround, I headed out.

I raced across the surface of the ocean at a sustained 24 knots, almost top speed. Considering I was broadside to the current, it was impressive. But passenger opinion was the last thing on my mind. All I could think about was Celtic.

Was she off the rocks yet? Had they gotten all the passengers off safely? And the last question was probably the most important one of all. Was she even still alive?