Chapter 11

BROOKLYN NAVY YARD OCTOBER 1918 "ARIZONA"

Despite my own sickness, I kept a close eye on Florida when Adriatic left for Southampton. She had grown weaker during the night. Her coughs sounded harsh, her breathing ragged.

After one week of struggling, she began to succumb to her Influenza. "Arizona." She managed between coughs. "Yes, Florida." I replied, coughing. "Tell, tell Utah to carry on." She rasped. I knew what she was saying. "Florida, no don't give up." I whispered.

Florida didn't seem to hear me. She gave a deep moan, her sides heaving as she fought for breath. "Florida no, please, don't leave me!" I begged her. She looked at me. "Nothing lasts forever. Be wary of the islands, Arizona. Be wary of the chain where peaceful waters flow all around." She warned. Before I could ask her what she meant, she gave one long sigh and died.

I shook my head. "No. No, NO, NO, FLORIDA! NO!!!" I wailed, nudging her side fiercely with my bow. "Florida please, don't do this." I cried. But it was no use. I could feel her hull cooling rapidly as the disease died from the lack of a living host.

Pennsylvania heard my wails and raced over. I didn't look up as she approached but I could hear her coming. "Get Utah, now." I ordered. Pennsylvania nodded sadly. Whirling around, she sped off to find Florida's now orphaned little sister.

She came back a few minutes later with Utah at her side. Florida's sister looked like she was trying hard not to cry, but when she saw her dead sister, she lost it. Rushing over, she buried her bow in her sister's side.

"Oh Florida, why did you have to go?" She whispered. I bowed my head. I turned away out of my dock and motioned for Pennsylvania to follow me. Utah needed her space right now. Pennsylvania got my message and did what I asked.

I found another dock, closer to the harbor and in sight of it as well. From here, I could watch all the ships entering and leaving the harbor. "Watching for Olympic?" Pennsylvania asked. I nodded. "Yes." I replied. She sighed. "I know what you're going to say, but I won't let her go." I growled. She shook her head. "That's not what I was going to say." She said.

"I was going to tell you that it's your decision, no one else's. If you want to stay with Olympic, that's your choice. Besides, I've gotten used to having her around." She added. "Do you really mean that?" I asked. She nodded. "But it breaks the code. A rule following barnacle like you would never agree to this." I said. "First of all, who're you calling barnacle? Second of all, if Olympic makes you happy, that's good enough for me." She replied.

I couldn't believe it. For years, Pennsylvania had argued against my relationship with Olympic, now she was agreeing to it? "I never thought I'd see the day." I whispered.

She looked concerned. "You look exhausted, have you been getting any sleep at all lately?" She asked. I shook my head. "I'd been too busy keeping watch on Florida." I replied. "It wasn't your fault." She said. I nodded, then coughed as my own influenza tightened its grip on me.

"Rest, you need it." She said. I was too tired to argue, so still coughing, I settled down to sleep, Pennsylvania's bow rubbing gently along my side to help.

My dreams were scattered and blurry. All I remember is seeing the twin peaks of an island awash in flame. I saw the red balls on the planes, the bomb pierce my decks. And at the end of each dream, I could hear Titanic's voice, reciting the prophecy. I wouldn't always see her, but her voice always sounded clear to me, tinged with sadness.

She wanted to stop it but no one, not even an Ancient, could stop a prophecy and it was dangerous to even try.

My latest dream was different. As explosions ripped all around me, Titanic watched from nearby. "Arizona, over here!" She cried. Looking around, I realized that the other ships didn't even notice I was there. A little perplexed, I did.