Chapter 3

SOUTHAMPTON ENGLAND SEPTEMBER 1918 "OLYMPIC"

Majestic and Homeric were due in the harbor anytime now. They both had been repainted and were now ready to go into service after brief sea trials. I watched as Celtic rounded a bend with two ships following her.

Imperator and Bismarck were totally unrecognizable. Their bright HAPAG colors were replaced by White Star's. Their new names were painted on their bows. Bismarck was now Majestic, Imperator was Homeric.

Majestic's ice blue eyes gleamed with excitement. She was constantly tailing Celtic as though she wanted my deputy to go faster. But Celtic was proceeding along at her own pace, almost deliberately as if to show the German who was boss around here.

She halted in front of me and nodded, I dipped my head in return. She turned and left to dock nearby. I faced the two Germans.

"The workmen did a good job. I can see no trace of German on you." I said. "Except when I talk." Homeric muttered, her German accent very pronounced. I smiled. "You'll learn." I said. "Alright, off with you. Your first trip to New York begins in a week and you have much to provision." I ordered. "Yes, Olympic." They said. Homeric dipped her head and left. Majestic bowed low, I could see deep respect for me blazing on every inch of her hull. Her eyes were filled with it. Backing off, she turned around and followed her sister.

"From the way she acts, you may as well be the Queen." Adriatic said, coming over. "I thought you were provisioning for your trip to Boston." I said, surprised. "I was, until I had to break up a fight between Baltic and Homeric." She replied.

My eyes widened. "Oh, they weren't badly hurt but Homeric had a cut on her eye. I soon patched that up." She assured me. "I'm guessing that Baltic started it." I muttered. "Your guess would be correct." Adriatic replied.

"Baltic was really aiming her words at Majestic but she just ignored her. When I arrived, she was trying to pull her sister off Baltic." Adriatic explained. "How in the world did she manage to ignore Baltic?" I asked. "I asked her that question myself." Adriatic said. "And?" I inquired. "And, she said that Baltic's words had no effect on her. She already knew where she belonged, she made that decision in Hamburg, almost 2 months before we came and got her." Adriatic replied.

I shook my head in disbelief. "Is there anything German about her?" I asked. "If there is anything, it was left behind in Hamburg." Adriatic replied.

Just then, Fury came up. "Olympic, could you come with me?" She asked. I tipped my head to one side. "What did Baltic do wrong now?" I asked. "I assure you, no one's done anything wrong and you should know better than to assume things, Olympic. Dreadnought wants you at Cowes." She replied. "Yep, I've definitely done something wrong." I muttered and followed Fury to Cowes.

Dreadnought was waiting for me outside the fort. The battleship was looking worn, apparently it wasn't just the merchant marine that was affected by the war. "RMS Olympic." She greeted. "HMS Dreadnought." I dipped my head. "Thank you HMS Fury, that'll be all." Dreadnought said. Fury dipped her head and left.

Dreadnought faced me. "Don't worry, you're not in trouble." She said. "I summoned you here for another reason altogether."

"Oh, and what is that?" I asked. "During your service in the war, you were the first and only merchant ship to ram and sink a U-boat. For that, I would like to give you an honorary position in the navy." She said.

I struggled to find my voice. "I heard you made a record yourself, HMS Dreadnought." I said. "And so I did. U-29 didn't stand a chance, just as U-103 didn't." She said. "I'm a merchant ship. I carry passengers, not guns." I growled. "As I said, the position is only honorary. All you have to do is check in here at Cowes once a month." She replied.