v. romeo and juliet

𝐬𝐰𝐞𝐞𝐭 𝐬𝐨𝐫𝐫𝐨𝐰!
act one, chapter five
" 𝒓𝒐𝒎𝒆𝒐 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒋𝒖𝒍𝒊𝒆𝒕 "

𝐬𝐰𝐞𝐞𝐭 𝐬𝐨𝐫𝐫𝐨𝐰!act one, chapter five" 𝒓𝒐𝒎𝒆𝒐 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒋𝒖𝒍𝒊𝒆𝒕 "

𝐒𝐄𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐌𝐁𝐄𝐑 𝟏𝟗𝟗𝟕

"𝑰𝑻'𝑺 𝑷𝑹𝑨𝑪𝑻𝑰𝑪𝑨𝑳𝑳𝒀 𝑳𝑰𝑭𝑬 𝑶𝑹 𝑫𝑬𝑨𝑻𝑯."

"No, Wyatt, it is not practically life or death. It's very far from."

Wyatt continued to shovel breakfast cereal down her throat, while her two friends watched her sceptically.

"But what if he's chosen a play without a primary female lead?" Wyatt said, still swallowing a mouthful of cornflakes as she spoke. Wyatt stress ate when she was frantic. And today was a day to stress about.

A week of school had passed already, seven days of mounds of homework, many feasts and late nights in the Hufflepuff basement playing exploding snap. But the school year didn't officially begin for Wyatt until today. The first meeting of the Drama Club, where Professor Flitwick will announce this year's play. And Wyatt is pretty anxious, to say the least.

"Macbeth doesn't have a primary female lead and yet you sobbed when you didn't get cast as Lady Macbeth," Teddy countered, buttering his toast in a less frenzied fashion than Wyatt approached her breakfast.

"That's because Lady Macbeth is basically the lead," Wyatt told him. "She oversees it all," she shrugged. "I consider her more of a lead than Macbeth himself. Hence the sobbing. It was a perfectly justified reaction."

"But you were thirteen," Rudy pointed out. "Surely you knew you were never going to get the lead."

Deep down, it was possible that third-year-Wyatt was aware that she basically stood no chance at scoring the lead in a Shakespeare play, but that didn't mean it couldn't shatter her fragile heart. "I think me being younger meant I was more vulnerable to an emotional response."

Wyatt waited for her friends to argue back again, but when nothing came, she spoke up again, "Anyway, you miss my point."

Teddy and Rudy shared a sceptical glance, before dubiously speaking simultaneously, "Which is?"

"Now I'm in seventh year, I have more of a chance at a lead, so the lead in question has to be a good one," Wyatt answered.

Teddy cut his slice of toast in half, his eyebrows almost reaching his hairline, "All Shakespeare sounds the same to me."