ii. leading lady

𝐬𝐰𝐞𝐞𝐭 𝐬𝐨𝐫𝐫𝐨𝐰!
act one, chapter two
" 𝒍𝒆𝒂𝒅𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒍𝒂𝒅𝒚 "

𝐬𝐰𝐞𝐞𝐭 𝐬𝐨𝐫𝐫𝐨𝐰!act one, chapter two" 𝒍𝒆𝒂𝒅𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒍𝒂𝒅𝒚 "

𝐒𝐄𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐌𝐁𝐄𝐑 𝟏𝟗𝟗𝟕

          𝑾𝒀𝑨𝑻𝑻 𝑺𝑨𝑾 𝑻𝑯𝑬𝑶𝑫𝑶𝑹𝑬 𝑨𝑮𝑨𝑰𝑵 𝑻𝑯𝑨𝑻 𝑾𝑬𝑬𝑲. It was September first and it was the day Wyatt's suspicions were confirmed ─ Mr and Mrs Nott weren't ones for seeing the light of day, because Theodore was escorted out by who, one can assume, was his nanny/butler/whatever word you would use. In fact, for the first time in history, Wyatt saw the Nott Manor doors open and close. It was all very exciting ─ she even got a glimpse of the walkway. From the little she saw, Wyatt concluded that it was as dark inside as it was outside ─ cold coloured walls, wood painted black. But that was none of her business.

          Platform nine and three quarters was buzzing when Wyatt and her parents emerged from the brick wall separating the platform from Muggle territory at half-past ten in the morning. Seeing the nervous first years dart around like headless chickens resulted in reality daunting on a rather flustered Wyatt Buckley ─ this was her last September first. Not literally (or at least she hopes not) but her last September first visiting platform nine and three quarters as a student, witnessing the beautiful chaos unfold like a panicked painting. Hearing the sobs of parents and the rustic tune of the train leaving the station. Watching the dramatic hugs from children and the excited skips from those who couldn't wait to be away from their parents for four whole months.

          Wyatt wasn't one of those teenagers ─ the ones that dreamed of September first because it granted them a parent-free card for a while. Wyatt loved her parents and their company, so saying goodbye was always bittersweet.

          "We'll see you at Christmas." Lucas Buckley had his arm around his daughter, crushing her closer and closer into his side. He peered down at Wyatt and squeezed his hand tighter against her shoulder. "Don't combust before then," he joked.

          Wyatt rolled her eyes ─ he made this joke every year. "I won't dad; I never do," she promised.

          Megan Buckley observed the embrace from a short distance and chuckled at the repeated interaction. "You stress yourself out too much, darling. What with auditions and everything." Megan swept a finger over her daughter's cheek.

          Wyatt had the same response every year when it came to burning herself out with stress. Her parents think she works too hard ─ with school, with helping Flitwick and the plays (no one else acts and makes props and helps backstage as Wyatt does), and everyone else agrees. Wyatt just thinks she has a strong work ethic and shouldn't be criticized because of it. And this year, she will take no suggestions from anybody ─ that leading role is hers, even if she has to move a mountain to get it.