Chapter 5 - The First Is Always An Accident

The sounds of chattering around him didn't make sense. The drowned-out faces of the group of teens as they smiled at each other didn't make sense. The feel of another breath close to him in such an open, defenseless, friendly way was all but unknown to him... In fact, he was uncomfortable. Very uncomfortable in this environment.

How long had it been since Gunner had been with people his age like this?

The answer; never.

"So you know the guy fucking shoved me. Do you believe it--the nerve of that little piece of shit!" The guys one row in front of Gunner grew louder every time the angered boy spoke. The teen was frowning and huffing as he talked, glaring at everyone and everything. His eyes lingered from friend to friend from the boys gathered around him before his gaze slowly settled.

One of his friends scoffed, waving his hand. "Exactly, he shoved you right in front of the referee... That fucking snake is a cheater. Does coach know this?"

"No." The blonde teen who had exploded before now just sighed in defeat, shoulders slumping tiredly. "What good does that do anyway? The referee still doesn't fucking believe anything we say so there's no use in trying to start trouble, man."

Gunner turned away from the boys and looked down at his shoes. He moved, shifting suddenly when one girl turned around to face him.

She stared at him.

Gunner stared back, met her gaze straight on and made no move to back down.

She had stopped what she was previously doing and was now staring at him, eyes stuck to his face. The more Gunner searched her eyes, the more relaxed he felt. No, it wasn't recognition he felt from her, nothing of the sort.

With a smile, one eyebrow raised and a little giggle, she regarded him. "So, you don't come to school often, do you? This whole year you've been absent--why is that? Whenever the teacher takes attendance in the morning, you're never there."

Her group of friends had stopped talking and now turned to watch the two of them with disturbing interest... Now, he knew what it was. Ugly, annoying, disgusting. It was almost like they were preying on him like a hunter would. Like someone playing with their food before they killed them. Slow torture, that's what this was.

Doing what he did for a living meant that Gunner rarely were around people enough to see things like this happening. When people looked at him and paid any attention to his appearance, they'd scowl in distaste. They would look at him with pity, look at him with disapproval and contempt.

...Why are scum like that on this earth? Why can't they do things - get a job and make something for themselves? They're just destroying themselves living that way. Why are they even here, if all they're going to do is give the police a harder time?

Gunner had heard it all his life and he hated it. He didn't choose to be in this situation, it was just the way things were. If he could live a different life, he would. Not everyone had that chance though, the world isn't so fair as to let that happen. One thing Gunner did know, was the fact that he still had it better than most others.

What these teens were doing to him was no better. The moment the girl looked at him, he knew that they had set their sights on him and wouldn't let go until they were victorious.

Even the row of guys before him leaned back to involve themselves.

How funny, Gunner thought to himself as he evaluated the situation. They were the vultures and he was the meat to chew on.