Chapter 3 - Wherever The Wind Takes Him

He stared down at the notes in his palms. Gunner had been expecting alot less money than what he had been given, but in a way that should have been expected since the Boss was one of the most wealthy gang leaders; who owned to most territories and had a gang with the most number of members. But for him to give Gunner that much just to travel to another district was mad, it was unbelievable. In all his life that he had been stealing, he'd never even come close to earning half the amount of that, and that was saying alot because he'd been a thief from the day he could walk. 

Gunner's face broke into scowl at that thought.

"Fucking rich bastard," He rolled his eyes and pocketed the stash of money back into his pocket before he snarled to himself in irritation. "He's mocking me. He's fucking mocking me--some nerve that man has to do that."

It was fully dark by now and the sun has settled down behind the clouds. Above him, the clear night sky made it infinitely darker so that stars could be seen wherever Gunner turned to look. It was beautiful, and nights like these were so uncommon that it shocked him to see the sight. It was at moments like this that Gunner wished he was someone with a normal life, not someone who worked with a gang or was a thief. 

No, Gunner never complained. He would never let himself complain. He knew and appreciated how good he had it compared to some other people, and he knew just how fortunate he actually was.

He could never wish for anything more, because he was simply already grateful that he was alive. He was still alive and breathing. But sometimes, Gunner found himself dreaming of what it would feel like to not worry constantly about how to get a place to sleep, or how to get food to eat... Sometimes he tried to imagine that, but in the end he just couldn't

Stealing and running is all I know, Gunner sighed as it passed him. Gunner had never lived for anything else but that... His life is that, and would always be like that. He didn't know how to live any other way. 

For another minute longer, Gunner stood there, looking and grasping as much of the beauty of the sky as he could. The way he lived had taught him to appreciate and capture every possible wonderous thing when he came across them, no matter how small they seemed.

He turned for the last time around to look back at the gang's buildings, then whiped around and started off in a jog.

"...Well then, it's time to go." His lips turned upwards, curving into a confident fearless smirk. 

The streets were now filled with dark shadows. Buildings in the area stood side by side with no signs of life in them. Most people didn't come into this area. It was dangerous to say the least, and it had a suffocating air to it. Police would pass here occasionally when they were driving back and forth between districts, but they never stopped here. It was deadly quiet, properties were far apart and the gangs in this area disguised their territories well. 

It wasn't a bad place to stay, but then again Gunner never stayed anywhere for long. He had nothing holding him back, nothing to ground him anywhere. Sometimes Gunner felt a deep longing for someplace to call his 'home', but he never felt like he could belong anywhere.

A bus rolled up to the curb of the street just as he reached the stop. With a twitch of his lips, Gunner pushed into the empty bus, smiling to himself. Coughing snapped him out of his thoughts when a sudden interruption sounded out. Raising a brow at the red-faced driver, Gunner took a step back and gave the man a toothy grin. "Yes?

The man growled vehementely, spitting out at Gunner through eyes of disgust. "You haven't paid for the ride yet!" His hands reached out  instantly to latch onto a hold of Gunner's shirt, "Pay for your ride or get off of my bus!"