Chapter Three

Belle looked at the man in front of her. He was beautiful, to say it simply. He had handsome, roguish features and dark brown hair that looked slightly messy. He had a strong facial bone structure that highlighted his eyes. Belle moved her gaze to his eyes. He had long lashes and - green and golden eyes?

Startled, she realized what she was doing. She was studying him like he was some sort of wild flower she found in a field. Observing and critical. It might've appeared to look like ogling, which was why she grew slightly flustered.

Ogling reminded her of what the girls in the village did with...Luther. The thought of that man almost made her shiver, but she wondered what her family would tell him if he came looking for her. After all, he did propose to her yesterday.

Belle forced herself back into the present to remember where she was and what she was doing. The she wondered if this man was the butler. He did look rather young.

"Is the duke here?" She asked. She was really curious about how he looked like. Belle never actually heard much about him.

Maybe a few chitters from a girl in the village, but nothing much. And even if they had described him, Belle probably had tuned their gossipy chatter out.

The man in front of her chuckled, which made Belle confused. Why was he laughing? Was her hair messed up?

"I am the duke," he smirked slightly. Belle's eyes widened in embarrassment. She had been staring at the duke the entire time?

"You're the duke?" Belle sputtered incredulously.

She then quickly recomposed herself after realizing how she must've looked like with her widened eyes and dropped jaw. She had expected a man that was the same age as her father. Not a handsome man who looked slightly older than her.

It was as if she wanted the duke to be someone easier to hate.

Belle paused. Hate? Did she really want to hate someone? And did appearance or age really matter? She shook her thoughts and convinced herself that she was just tired. It had been a long day.

"Yes. I forgot I was expecting you," he admitted. Forgot? How could he have forgotten about the deal he made with her father that resulted in her residing in his own castle for the rest of the year? How does one forget that sort of thing?

She shivered from the wind that blew past. The duke noticed it and opened the door further for her to get her trunk through.

"Come in. You look a little cold," he waved his hand to allow her in.

When Belle stood next to him, she realized how tall he was. He was at least a head taller than her, in fact, a little more since she only reached his shoulders. And now that she knew who he was, she should've realized that he definitely had the presence of a duke - regal and powerful.

"Now if you'll excuse me, I'll just have Mary to settle you in. Good night," he said before turning around and going into a different hallway.

Belle was surprised about how short their first encounter was. She thought that he'd probably explain her role for the rest of the year.

Her stomach dropped when she remembered that she would spend five months away from her family.

But five months wasn't too long and maybe it wouldn't be too bad, Belle thought while looking at the interior of the castle.

Belle finally had a chance to marvel at the castle. From far away, it looked magnificent. Up close, it was even more beautiful.

She studied the welcoming room and its curving staircase. She saw a picture of a horse, which reminded her of something. She turned to the maid, who was fondly watching Belle marvel at their surroundings.