Taking a Nap

"About time," Madison winked when Mack emerged from the trail as the sun set behind him and into the light of fire's campfires flickering gaze.

"Don't be embarrassed, dude; I get it."

Mack wanted to tell Madison he doubted that, but he changed the subject instead. "So what's for dinner? Pork and beans?"

"Deer steak and veggies," Madison said proudly. "Caught or grew 'em both."

Mack tried not to look at Madison while his friend cooked. Instead he eagerly drank more of the bitter beverage his friend had brought out. It seemed to kick in more quickly this time, and soon he was just as drunk and at ease with Madison as before. "Oh man," Mack laughed when they were done eating. "Even with that food I. Am. Drunk."

"I'd be surprised if you weren't," Madison said, eyeing him openly.

They sat in silence, enjoying the sounds of the crackling fire and the forest around them. Finally, Mack sighed contentedly and rolled his shoulders. "Okay, I admit it; this is pretty great out here."

"I told you!" Madison raised his glass to toast his friend's admission. "I knew once you got out here; you'd like it. I'm glad you're here, man."

"Me too. I will have a hard time leaving in a few days, that's for sure."

"I wouldn't worry too much about that. You won't be going back." Madison smiled at Mack's confused expression. "Sorry, that was dramatic. I mean, the woods change a person. You won't be the same as when you got here."

Mack just cocked an eyebrow, unsure how to read his friend. Madison had always gotten like this now and then, especially after imbibing something. "Dude, I'm wasted, but how drunk are you right now," he laughed despite a growing uneasiness in his stomach. He looked at the empty glass, wishing he hadn't let his friend talk him into draining the whole thing.

Madison looked away back at the fire, her smile fading. "You know, I don't talk about the things I saw while giving aid, the shit I witnessed disposable people do when pushed to extremes in poverty. I am discarding children or, even worse, selling them. I just...can't. I hear it all the time, ya know? It's almost deafening sometimes. The crying. It's like the imprinted into my mind."

Mack's uneasiness grew even more. He wasn't just feeling drunk. He was starting to feel flush and lightheaded, and the complete strangeness of the day's events was sinking in. He trusted his friend, but simultaneously, it occurred to him just how isolated they were. Madison's face was pained when she looked back at him.

"The only time it's quiet is when you're around," the big lady said, her face softening.

Mack was not expecting that. Madison didn't seem overly emotional-stoned yet, and even then, she usually just managed a slurred "I love you, man," followed by a punch in the stomach. However, this didn't feel like that at all. "Hey man, you don't have to...whoa..." Mack leaned forward, and the forest spun around him. He shook his head, but that only made it worse. "I think I may have had too much," he laughed awkwardly. He righted himself on the log and almost fell over backward. The cool night air was suddenly oppressive, and the modest fire felt like an oven. He pawed at his tank top, his sweat-soaked torso begging for freedom.

Mack had his shirt halfway up when he started to fall backward. Only Madison's firm grip stopped him. "Here," his friend said, lifting the shirt up and off.

"Whhheeeewwwww, that's better," Mack sighed, rolling his bare shoulders and leaning into his friend's much larger frame with a drunken giggle. "Sorry, dude...I don't think I should sit on this log...maybe the ground's a better idea..."

"I got ya." Madison put a solid arm around Mack's trim waist while Mack continued to lean into her.

Mack felt equal parts confused and elated. The bitter liquid coursing through his system made him feel fantastic. His foggy brain tried to stay grounded, but it was fading. He struggled to remember what they'd just been talking about. It felt important, but he couldn't put his finger on it. All he could focus on was how warm and sturdy and large his friend seemed. She was so soft and comfortable to rest against for someone as tall and built as Madison.