Sick

When Beta woke up every bad feeling in the world hit him instantly. His head felt like it was splitting open, and while he did believe that most of his clothing dried up by now, he was sweating bullets like crazy. Not only that, but his muscles were too sore to lift and his stomach was begging for something - anything - to eat.

The only thing he could express was a painted groan, which proved to be a bad idea once he realized how swollen his throat was.

"Beta, are you alright?"

The human opened his eyes slowly upon hearing Fred's soft and gentle voice.

"No," he groaned. He shut his eyes again. It would be nice if he could just keep them closed forever. Tickles in his throat then made him start to cough. It hurt so much, he was so dehydrated.

"You should have packed some food or even some medicine before we left. You sound horrible."

"N-No kidding," his horse's voice rang.

"Can you get up?"

"...no."

Fred looked him up and down. The feeling of worry was washing over him. Beta had to eat and drink something. Maybe Fred could use his powers to boost him. No, his body was too weak and he had already been through enough. He had to do something though.

Fred then had an idea. Unlike his human companion Fred himself was feeling stronger, even if it was still restricted he could now move his body more. The only issue was that he needed to find a source to begin with. Thankfully for being so old he had an intense knowledge of edible forestry. Based on the environment there was most likely at least some sort of berries of mushrooms that Beta could eat. There was also most likely a freshwater source.

"Beta, I will be back."

"... what?"

"I am going to find your water and food."

"Wait...." Beta struggled to say. "In my bag... I packed a water bottle."

Fred unzipped the bag and pulled out a variety of clothes until eventually finding the bottle, it wasn't the biggest and a little dirty but it would do.

Beta has sacrificed so much for him it was time to make it up to him somehow. Beta's arms were sore enough for him to be unable to hold the water bottle still - so Fred had to help him with that as well.

"H...How will you even get food? You can't walk without me..." Beta wheezed out weakly after his throat was moisturized.

"Lucky for us, I have evolved in power," Fred stated, unaware of how ominous he was sounding. Beta raised his eyebrows at him in weak confusion. Soon, the world around them started to grow darker as a deep rumble became audible.

"F-Fred?" Beta asked, his voice quivering as his vision temporarily faded. He blinked repeatedly as the light hit his eyelids, confused beyond hope. His pupils widened as he laid eyes on Fred finally...

Fred was... standing. The plant managed to grow a black, inky body with many rows of teeth decorating his form. This new form stepped out of the pumpkin-shaped pot and Hovered over him. He was a good chunk taller than Beta - which made fear creep into his bones. Was he going to get eaten?...

"I don't have much time, this form is very much temporary. For now, at least." Fred said, leaning over to Beta as he picked up some clothes from his backpack. He covered up Beta, almost as if he was using a blanket. "-I will venture into the woods now and find some food for you. Stay safe, please."

Beta's tired eyelids could only stare back, they half-lidded as any sign of danger faded away.

"Fred- W-Wait..." the human wheezed out.