Chapter 13

The smell of bacon and eggs wafted into my nose. It smelled amazing.

Not surprising, as I was the cook.

I was humming to myself, when it was interrupted by a pair of groans and profanities.

"Isn't it such a great morning?", I asked extra cheerfully knowing that I would irritate the hell out of them.

That got me a middle finger and a slipper.

Jeez so touchy!

They came and dropped their heads so abruptly on the breakfast counter that it probably aggravated the pain to the next level.

"There's Tylenol and water on the counter. And there's food. Get some grease in and you'll be good."

"You're quite an expert at treating hangovers, for someone who doesn't even go near alcohol", Jade smirked at me.

"Because I've been nursing your sorry asses for a month now. If I knew I would turn out to be such a fantastic nurse, I'd have gone that way."

"You would have been great babe. You all dressed up for Church?", Raniya asked.

"Yea. I'm leaving. I'll bring back soup. And take a bath, you both stink worse than sewers."

I didn't bother replying to their 'yeaaa's and set out on the twenty minute walk to church. I had time, so I walked at a slow pace.

There were very few people as it was Sunday and people were mostly sleeping in after partying till early morning. I don't know how they find enough energy and clothes to party multiple times a week.

Don't they get bored of this routine? Plus, morning afters are terrible.

Maybe I'm the weird one because I couldn't relate to this party lifestyle.

I entered the beautiful church and instantly felt peace. I loved spending time here, when I felt stressed out. It was quiet and people stayed away.

I knelt down on the last pew, said a quick prayer and sat down, waiting for the Holy Mass to begin. The pews filled up in the next five minutes.

Sunday Mass in India was long and I didn't really understand the meaning of a lot of words. But here, it was simple and beautiful. The choir was heavenly.

I was singing along when someone sat down on the pew next to mine. My eyes strayed out of distraction, falling on the old lady who'd come in late.

And that's when I realized Axel was sitting there; right next to the old lady. He looked forward, so I quickly turned to face the altar, in hopes that he wouldn't turn to the side.

Why didn't I think about this?? Now I couldn't even go to church without worrying.

I turned myself slightly to the other side. The people sitting on either sides of me glanced at me from the corners of their eyes. The man who sat on the side I turned myself to, scooted away from me.

What on earth was he expecting me to do? Throw up at his face in the church?

As soon as Mass was over, I ran out and reached the dorm in 10 minutes. Another new record.

Thanks to Axel, I might actually beat Usain Bolt's record.

I banged on the dorm's door, panting so hard and barely able to keep myself up.

"Coooomiiiiiingggg!!"

Jade opened the door and looked surprised to see my current state.

"Were you chased by a mountain lion or something?", she asked.