49

They had five minutes left.

"You're not staying with Deok-su." Hae Young points at Sae-byeok. "Don't you remember what happened that night? He almost killed you no matter what weapon you carry on yourself."

"We don't even know what the next game is." She retorts.

"Whether you work together or not, there is a chance Deok-su will turn against you to win the prize money." Sang-Woo explains to her. So it was down to the two adults.

"I'll go with him." Sang-Woo says.

"--No." Hae Young stops him. "Let's think about this first."

"What else is there to think about? He can kill you with any chance he has. The cut on your leg isn't helping your situation, either, Hae Young."

"--No, it's not that." She looks at Sae Byeok. "There is a chance to work together, or a chance we work against each other. I can't end up with her if the game turns out to be the latter."

Sang-Woo hesitantly looks at the two women. Sae-byeok had nothing else to say.

"And if we do end up working together with our partners, someone needs to protect her--"

"--I don't need protection." Sae-byeok snaps at her. "I can protect myself. I could kill him."

"Even if you say that." Hae Young tells her. "I'm an open opportunity for him to get to you"

"Hae Young--"

"--Besides," She tells them. "It settled the moment I left that marble game." She turns back to Deok-su, who was watching but was far enough from them to not be heard. She lowers her voice. "I promised Mi-nyeo."

The clock buzzed, their time was up. Hae Young was first to get up from her spot, though struggling a bit. Her leg was still pulsing with pain. All it took was one look at the two before limping away from them.

Her mind was set. She approaches the man with the snake tattoo, hiding as much as her limp as possible. His eyes were set on her, he already knew this was a ploy, yet--

"Play with me." She says, holding her hand out for her to shake. He looks over to Sae-byeok and Sang-Woo, hands clasped together. He no longer has a choice. Either he plays or he dies. He chuffs at her, taking her hand in his tightly as he gives it one vigorous shake. This is the moment that will make or break them. He pulls her in with her hand, mouth close to her ears. He whispers,

"I will do everything in my power that I win." He says sternly. "Even if it means getting rid of you."

All the players were escorted out the corridors, going down a familiar path until they found themselves in a dank, dark, pathway that led to a set of familiar iron doors. They've been here before, they know this place. They stop by iron doors, both teams facing each other. Deok has his eyes fixated on the kid, impatient and ready to kill. Hae Young stared at the floor. Sang-Woo stared at her.

"Before we begin, there will be a coin toss to decide offense and defense."

There was a subtle fall in Hae Young's expression. It was as if she already knew what the game was at that point.

"Please choose triangle or square."

"Triangle." Sang-Woo spoke first.

The guard tossed the coin into the air, landing perfectly into his gloved hands.

"It's a square." The guard speaks. Deok-su gives him a menacing smile. "Please choose offense or defense."

"Offense." Deok-su says almost immediately. The rising feeling of fear and regret rises up from the pit of Hae Young's stomach.

"Player 099, and Player 101 will play offense while Player 067 and Player 218 will play defense."

The guard turns back, they finally open the iron doors.

They were escorted out of that dark corridor into the familiar, dusty, field. Sunlight graced their pale faces and fragile bodies, warming their skins that had gotten so used to the cold. It was nice to be out once again, and they felt free. So close, yet so far. They remind themselves that only one team can win at this point.

They see the markings on the dirt floor; a structure of circles, a triangle, and a square. This is what everything in their lives had led to; the most violent game they would ever play.

So that's what the knives were for, the teams, the coin toss. Hae Young and Sang-Woo exchange looks, regretful, unprepared, yet they both know. They had to accept it. This is where it all ends.

A/N: I can't believe this book is almost at a close! I also just wanted to add that I'm shaking at all the Su-bin slander. I SWEAR SHE'S NOT AT ALL THAT BAD, SHE'S JUST AS HUMAN AS EVERYONE ELSE I SWEAR! And also, I've seen the most interesting theories in the comments as well. I just can't believe you guys are so hooked with this fanfic I wrote out of the blue just because I was simping for Sang-Woo and I was bored one day. You guys actually have no idea how much all your support means to me! The next few chapters will be out soon, don't worry! I hope you all have a lovely day--