8

"Have you got enough oil in the pan?"

"Yes, ma'am

There were murmurs in his kitchen, then the smell of sizzling breakfast. When Sang-woo opened his eyes in the first hours of the morning, he realized that the futon next to him was now folded and empty.

Stumbling onto the first floor of his home, the scent of fried eggs filled his nose, as well as fish cakes and rice, and then the strange sight of the girl from the coffee shop making omelets with his mother in his kitchen.

"Sang-woo! Great, you're awake." His mother grins. "While you were asleep, Hae Young and I were making breakfast."

"Oh." was all he could say, then Hae Young came to the dining table with a large plate of omelet in hand.

"Your mother said you don't eat breakfast." She whispers.

Sang-woo scoffs.

"We're college students. Do you eat breakfast?" He retorts.

Her eyes narrow.

"Touche."

He suppresses a smile.

"But might as well take advantage of the kitchen. It's not everyday I get to eat breakfast like this."

She was right, though. The last time Sang-woo remembers eating a hefty amount of breakfast like this was in high school.

The morning scenery was reminiscent of his younger days, though, with Hae Young being an addition, it somewhat felt less lonely in their house. It was refreshing to say the least, to take in the mornings and eat breakfast with his mother and a girl he picked up from the bus shed on a rainy Friday night.

"You have been such a great host, Mrs. Cho." Hae Young bows deeply to the older woman.

"Oh dear, I would have loved it more if you stayed longer." She sighed.

"That's enough, eomma, you've coddled her for too long." Sang-woo buts in. "Besides, I've got to get her back before her landlady reports to her dad that she's missing."

"Alright, but take this before you go." Mrs. Cho hands her a bag of packed food. "I don't want you going hungry while you're not here." She gives her a warm smile.

"Thank you so much, Mrs. Cho!" Hae Young bows again, deeper this time. "I'll make sure to enjoy every last bit of your food!"

"Right, well, I'll take her back now." Sang-Woo turns to her expectantly. "Are you ready to go?"

Hae Young gives him a nod.

The travel back to campus was long, but sweet, where pockets of silence were inevitable, but comfortable. Sang-Woo realized the comfortableness each radiated in a span of a few hours. Now it just felt natural to walk with her, or maybe that was just him or the breakfast talking. Still, this feeling of uncertainty lingered in the back of his mind. He was never really the best at making friends.

"So, your mother." Hae Young starts. Already, a lump forms in his throat.

"What about her?"

"She's a great lady."

He breathes a sigh of relief.

"I don't think I've met anyone as welcoming as her in a while." She smiles. "People here in Seoul are just so stingy with hospitality sometimes." she scrunches her nose.