Seven

"Gross," Mom said suddenly, putting her pen down and getting up from her seat at the table.

"What?" I asked as I sipped coffee.

"The pen is leaking." She rolled her eyes as she reached for the paper towels. "I guess he's finishing up."

Allie choked on her tea. It was mildly disturbing that her thoughts had gone right to where mine had been, but I was lucky enough not to have anything in my mouth when it was said. It might have been bad (probably more like horrific) that we immediately went to the most perverted meaning, but it was our family, so it's not like it was new for us. Allie coughed, trying to clear her airways as I spoke to our mom.

"Do you hear what you're saying?" I asked her seriously.

Mom ignored me, instead choosing to say "Ew, now my hand is all sticky."

I face palmed. It was the only option at that point.

I think Edgar started choking in the next room over. I swear I heard hacking, and if I was a good person, I would be worried for my cat's life; at the moment I was more worried about my own. After all, my mother was in the room.

"Mom," Allie told her, "you realize that everything you are saying right now could be taken in an entirely different way, right?"

"What way?" she asked. It was just wrong to think that she could be so inappropriate at some times, and so oblivious during others. But then again, she was my mom. "Ohhhh," she said, the lightbulb popping over her head. "That way."

"Yeah," I said in that special tone reserved for when you were implying someone was stupid. I used that tone with Mom a lot, so I guess that I wasn't a very respectful daughter. I didn't really like people in general that much, so I guess it was to be expected that I while I did act a little different with my family, it wasn't much.

"I thought you were leaving today, Mom," I said as she washed her hands.

"We are. It'll be right before lunch." She wiped her hands with a towel and said, "So don't worry; you'll have the house to yourselves in a few hours."

"Awesome." I said. "Wait. Huh? Ourselves?"

"You and Grayson," she elaborated. "You two will be alone."

"Can you just leave already?" I groaned out as she padded away; she was actually wearing regular ballet flats today, not heels.

"In a few hours." Before Mom rounded the corner, she looked at me with a dangerous twinkle in her eye. "I just want a chance to talk to Grayson before I go. You know, one-on-one."

Without hesitation I yelled at her, "I hate you!"

"Love you too, Sweetie!"

I WAVED GOODBYE from my safe spot of where I was standing on the slightly rotted floorboards of the front porch. My dad and Allie were in his truck, and my mom and Kennedy were in her small cutesy car. They pulled out one after the other, leaving me alone, or as much as I could be with Grayson still in the house with me. Entering the house again, I scooped up Edgar on my way to the living room where Grayson was in his recliner watching a sports game of some sort. I wasn't paying attention, so I couldn't tell what it was specifically.

"The Devil has left the building," I said to him, sighing in the sweet relief of my mother's absence. Grayson smirked at me without replying and went back to watching his game. With Edgar secured under my arm, I walked past him, but then paused.

"Here," I said sweetly. "I think Edgar wants you to hold him." That was what I said to him before I unceremoniously plopped Edgar down on his lap, hearing Edgar hiss at his new pillow.