Chapter Twenty-Two

So it has been FOREVER (not literally, but almost) since I have updated this!!!!!!  Sorry bout that, BTW.  So, um, there is one thing I would like to address.  The title of this story.  

If I am being honest, I have never really liked this title, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to change it to just "Grayson".  I made a completely new cover that I like a lot better than my current one.  I wanted to tell you guys, so that you knew what was going on.  I hope you like the changes as much as I do.

It will be at least a few hours, maybe less, but I figured I would let you know.  I would like to know your opinion on the changes, though.  So please!  Share!

Okay, enough of my ramblings, you can read now!  P.S. It's a little short, but I ran into a bit of trouble writing this part, and I don't know why.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"So, Jonah," my mother started. She was sitting on a chair in the living room, leafing through a magazine, the picture of innocence, but my blood still ran cold.

Anything that started with So, Jonah, was never, ever good.

It had been three days since Edgar's accident and Kade's subsequent death, and Grayson was back to near perfect health. I could tell he was still a little sore, but he promised me that he was perfectly fine. Edgar was doing wonderful as well, back to terrorizing the members of my house. Just that morning I had heard a scream come from one of the bathrooms – a horribly high pitched noise – and when I went to inspect the occurrence, English bolted out of the bathroom and said to get a handle on my demon cat.

Speaking of Grayson, he was currently underneath me on the couch as we snuggled together. He felt me tense on top of him, and rubbed the small of my back reassuringly.

With a look from Grayson, I finally asked my mother, "What, Mom?"

"Allie's birthday is in a few days," she said. "It's her twenty-seventh. She won't be having many more after that."

I shared a glance with Grayson, my eyes wide as I processed what my mother had just said. I looked over at her, but with the way she just looked at the magazine, it was as if she had commented on the weather.

"Um, Mom?" I asked. "Are you planning on killing Allie?"

She looked up at me with a shocked expression, as if I were the one who had said something that sounded less than sane. "What? No! Of course not!" She shook her head at me. "I only meant that she'll be twenty-nine in a few years, and everyone knows that women stop counting birthdays after twenty-nine." Her golden curls bounced over her shoulders.

"Thank God," I said in relief. I really didn't want to have to visit my mother on the other side of bulletproof glass, no matter how inevitable it might seem at times.

"I mean," she continued, waving a hand in the air as she set her magazine to the side, "if anything, I would kill Kennedy."

There was a beat of silence to process that.

"WHAT?!" The daughter in question screeched as she entered the room in time to hear Mom's comment. "Why would you kill me? If anything you should kill Jonah!"

"What?" I asked, rightfully offended. "Why me?"

At the same time, my mother responded, "Because you was a little hellion to raise. Jonah was the easy kid; Allie was a mix, but more on the mellow side."

"Oh please," Kennedy said in response to my question. "We'd kill Grayson at the same time so you could enjoy an afterlife together. Promise."

"Oh, don't worry," I told her, "I'll kill English right after I strangle you so that you'll be with him." I looked her in the eye and stared her down with a smirk. "You know, because I love you."