CHAPTER 1

COPY RIGHT:  ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

Chapter One

'Agent Riley I want you in my office,' Senior Superintendent Samantha St. Claire commanded, as she strode past his desk into her office.

'Your wish is my command,' Agent Riley grinned, but it was very quickly wiped off his face when he saw the blazing fury in his superior's steely eyes. She did not often get angry, but when she did there was always a valid reason. Riley was desperately hoping he was not the cause of her anger, but her icy glare gave him no hope.

'I was summoned to court this morning Riley,' she gritted her teeth at him.

'Yes ma'am,' he mumbled. He knew of the summons, when she had not met him at their rendezvous point or answered her mobile, he was duly informed of that when he had called the office.

'I gave you one simple instruction yesterday afternoon,' she stabbed her finger into his chest, 'to prepare our motivation to extradite Victor Hernandez. The file that landed on the State Prosecutor's desk, did not have any support documents to substantiate our case,' she barked. 'It was a good thing I had sufficient material on my desk, when I was summoned.'

Riley squirmed embarrassingly.

'The State Prosecutor asked me if I'm running a Mickey Mouse operation,' she stabbed his chest again.'

She wasn't going to tell Riley the only reason her case was not thrown out of court was because the State Prosecutor pulled some strings to allow her time to get to court, because his interest in her was a little more than professional.

'I'm sorry, I did do the paperwork,' Riley looked down sheepishly, 'I think I put the documents into the filing cabinet instead of in the courier bag for the State Prosecutor's Office,' he mumbled.

'You embarrass me that way again Riley and I will have you posted to one of the stations doing the street beat on foot!' she warned.

'Yes ma'am,' he acknowledged hoping for mercy.

It was an honest mistake that anybody could have made, she would cut him some slack, for he never shirked his duties, and was always straight with her.

'Leave my door opened on your way out,' she dismissed him.

She was lifting up the handset of her phone back at her desk when she observed Riley had not moved an inch from when she had dismissed him.

'Riley?' Samantha questioned softly, replacing the handset.

'Did we win our bid to extradite Hernandez?' he asked uncomfortably.

'What do you think?' she grinned.

'Yes!' Riley tap danced on his toes, then quickly remembered where he was.

'I leave for Bogotá in forty eight hours,' Senior Superintendant St Claire informed her subordinate. 'I'm to be escorted by six nannies from Special Missions,' she added rather irritatedly.

'I know you prefer to take care of yourself ,' Riley consoled, 'but Hernandez is not only a drug lord but an inhumane killer. I'm relieved that you're being escorted,' he affirmed.

Riley knew his boss was a perfectionist, who preferred to work alone, she was not only highly skilled, she was also an expert markswoman, trained in martial arts and trained to kill as well. Whichever part of your body she aimed for, she only needed one shot at it. Only those who read her file knew the depth of her expertise, and not many had access to that.

She handled the very difficult cases on her own. She worked alone. She did not need a partner. Partners made mistakes. She had painful first hand, very personal experience of that. The only reason she had had a rendezvous with Riley this morning was because she wanted to force the hand of the assassin that Riley had been tailing for the past three months.