BAAM (5)

Pic of the cabin =>

It was officially Friday. I wish I could say I was happy that it was the weekend, but I couldn't. Every day Marcus picked me up from home and school. Somehow he convinced dad and mom to let him be my tutor for Italian. I didn't exactly need a tutor, but they felt it would be best for me to get into it as much as possible. I'm not sure why, we don't have Italian in us so I don't see what the importance is. I asked my parents if I could just study it out of school with Hunter, but they refused. Their excuse was that they didn't know him or his parents.

Speaking of which, I continued to associate with Hunter and Layla. Marcus continued to argue with me about it and it frustrated him that he couldn't stop me. They were nice people, I didn't see what the big deal about them was. If their family was bad news, they weren't anything like them. Layla and I became quick friends and Hunter, well, I was getting closer and closer to him each day. He wasn't my boyfriend, but he definitely was more than just a friend. I could picture us dating in a few weeks or months time.

I hadn't talked to Marcus's group unless absolutely necessary. Tilly and Alana cornered me at one point and demanded an explanation for why I've been avoiding them. I didn't feel a need to answer that.

"So I'm thinking Tuesdays and Thursdays for your Italian tutoring," Marcus said as he drove me home.

"Fine. Whatever," I sighed in annoyance.

"You don't seem too pleased with that," he mused.

I looked at him and gave him my most innocent face. "Well, I'm not exactly your biggest fan."

He laughed, like really laughed. "Yeah, I'd gathered that."

I turned in my seat so I faced him. "Why did you want to be my tutor?" My question was short, simple and direct, it shouldn't be hard to give a similar answer, but of course Marcus had to go and make the answer complicated.

"I told you before that I wanted to get to know you. The school isn't much for teaching the real stuff in their language classes and any other tutor would make you sound like a complete fool. So, why not me?"

I turned back away from him. "Because you're a pest. And I have better things to do than 'hang out' with an over-grown, stuck up child."

He ignored my comment and continued to just chat away.

We finally arrived to my house and it was chaos. Mom was running around like a headless chicken, trying to pack up the whole house. Dad was taking things out of the suitcases that were unnecessary to take, like the lamps. Chris was coming down the stairs with his bulky suitcase.

"Okay, I'm ready for the house made of trees!" exclaimed Chris.

Dad looked over from what he was doing. "Whoa, kiddo! Are you packing your whole room?" He laughed.

Chris just blinked at him. "No." And then he set he case down, unzipped it and started pulling out its contents. "I only packed the most important things. Mr. Snuggles, Captain Croaks, Floppy...."

"Where are all your clothes?" Dad asked.

"Who needs clothes when you're in the woods. You don't see the animals wearing clothes, do you?"

I laughed, as did Marcus and dad.

"I guess not, but they have fur to keep themselves covered, we....humans do not," dad explained. "How's about you only take a couple of toys and pack some clothes in their, huh buddy?"

Chris sighed unhappily. "Fine." He headed back up to his room slowly.

Dad asked me to go make sure Chris packed clothes, and ones that were appropriate for the cabin. When I came back to the living room with Chris, mom and dad where arguing and Marcus looked amused.

"I'm telling you Matthew Allen Saunders, we need it!"

"Honey, we don't need everything in the house. The cabin is in great shape, I asked about it last week. It has also been cleaned and has plenty of supplies. All we really need to bring is our clothes and ourselves." Dad reasoned.

Mom huffed and went to pack some more clothes, muttering that he had better be right.

Marcus offered to help us get ready for the weekend.

"Oh, thank you, Marcus, but you might want to go do some packing yourself, your parents may want you to help them as well," dad said.

"All right, if you're sure?"

"Oh, we're sure all right," I snapped at him, not really meaning to. I've been getting more snappy lately and my skin has also gotten hotter. I guess it's actually a good thing that I'll be seeing that Dr. Harris before we leave, maybe he could tell what's going on with me. Even though I hate going to the doctors, it seems like a good idea now.

Marcus nodded, unfazed by my snap. "All right then, I'll see you all tomorrow." He gave me a brilliant smile before heading out the door.

We continued to pack and before I knew it, it was time to go to Dr. Harris.

Dr. Harris, what can I say about him? Well, he looked kind enough, he kept smiling and was very polite. He had graying brown hair and had glasses, and he was pretty tall.

"What seems to be the trouble today?" Dr. Harris asked me.

"Well, I'm not sure why they," I pointed to my parents, "set the appointment up in the first place, but for the past week or so my body has gotten hotter and it continues to get hotter each day. Also, I've been getting testy lately, snapping at everything."

Dr. Harris looked at my parents, knowingly. "I see."

I was probably at the doctors for an hour. The over all evaluation was that it was all due to stress. For some reason, I felt that the doctor was lying to me and that my parents knew the truth.

We arrived back home and immediately got ready for dinner with the Jeffersons. I chose a black and white strap dress with a belt. and matching shoes.

Marcus, his parents and his two little twin sisters, Peyson and Arista greeted us at their door.

"C'mon in everybody!" Howard invited.

Dinner was, needless to say, awkward. Marcus's little sisters were very nosy and wanted to know everything about me. It was like a guy getting the third degree from his new girlfriend's parents. But they were sweet and apparently approved of me. Whatever that was supposed to mean.

When we got home, I got the best gift ever! There, at the porch steps, stood none other than Leslie, my best friend in New York that my mom totally despised. I ran up to her, squealing in excitement.

"What are you doing here?!" I asked.

"New York isn't the same without you there to tear it up," she teased. "I got bored and had to come see if I could maybe stay for a while?"

I looked to mom and dad for permission. Dad shrugged and mom reqlutantly agreed. I helped Leslie bring her things in the house, only to help her put them in the car for the cabin.

We all went to bed early and slept restlessly.

In the morning we met up with Marcus and his family and took the long trip to dad and mom's cabin.

When we finally arrived, I was amazed. The cabin was about three stories, had two decks and was made of the finest cherry wood. It was absolutely gorgeous. Behind the cabin was an even more gorgeous view of the lake, woods and mountains. It was truly a breath taking site. We all had our own bedrooms, with the adults sharing with their spouse and the kids sharing a room. The rooms were also beautiful.

We all went to unpack our stuff. I was almost done when my mom called me outside. When I finally went I was shocked by what greeted me. The most beautiful, yellow Ferrari I have ever seen greeted me. I looked to my parents and they simply nodded. The car was mine.

"Well, chicka, you are definitely taking me very time you go on a shopping spree," Leslie joked.

"Of course." My voice was hardly a whisper. I never expected something quite like this. Maybe this weekend won't be so bad after all.