Honest Eyes

Donna is eating her plate clean. Sherrie is daydreaming while twirling her noodles. Ms. Wilkes is pouring the girls a glass of juice. Ms. Wilkes put the juice on the table. Getting Sherrie attention.

"Juice?" Ms. Wilkes ask

"Yes, thank you ma'am." Sherrie says while clearing her throat.

Ms. Wilkes looks at Donna and admires her hair and cute dimples.

"What's your name baby?"

"Donna." She answers in a light tone.

Sherrie continue to thank Ms. Wilkes before she can ask her any more questions.

"I can't thank you enough for allowing us into your home. We greatly appreciate it." Sherrie expresses

"Of course my dear." Ms. Wilkes says.

An awkwardly silence is upon them. Donna reaches for a juice while staring at Ms. Wilkes.

"You have pretty eyes." Donna says

"Thank you dear. So do you. Where do you get them from?" Ms. Wilkes asked

"My dad." Donna says with a smile.

"Where's your dad?" Ms. Wilkes ask.

"In heaven." Donna said in a sad voice

Sherrie interrupts Donna and Ms. Wilkes conversation.

"I'm sorry we intruded. We'll just leave now." Sherrie said

Sherrie gets up from the table. Attempting to leave.

"You should wait till the roads are clear. I'm sure they set up road blocks. You shouldn't risk it. You're safer here." Ms. Wilkes said.

"Why you helping us? Sherrie said standing at the table.

"Everybody need help sometimes." Ms. Wilkes said with a smile.

Sherrie slowly sits back down. Ms. Wilkes rubs Donna hair with a smile.

"You girls get some rest. You have a long journey ahead of u tomorrow." Ms. Wilkes said while getting up from the table.

She walks over to Sherrie. Place her hand on her shoulder and whisper in her ear.

"You can take my late husband work truck to get you as close as out as u can. It won't get you too far. But I'm sure you'll find a way to where you heading. Sleep tight baby." Ms. Wilkes said and walked to her bedroom.

Sherrie cuddled up on the sofa with Donna. She didn't get much sleep. It's an old house. So it made tiny noises. She woke up every time. The sunrises before her eyes. She sits up on the sofa and reach for her book sack. Ms. Wilkes walk in.

"I think now would be a good head start. Them sheriffs will come back today asking questions. Don't want to risk it." Ms. Wilkes said.

"Yes, you're right. Wake up Donna baby." Sherrie says while shaking Donna.

They grab their belongings and head to the door. Ms. Wilkes hands her the keys and 2 brown paper bags with fruit and sandwiches. Sherrie releases a smile and head out the door. She stops and turns to Ms. Wilkes.

"Thank you. So much." Sherrie says

"My pleasure dear. Good day pretty girl." Ms. Wilkes says while waving at Donna.

"Bye bye." Donna says while waving and smiling..

Sherrie and Donna load up into the 1976 pick up truck. It's dusty and old. But it started up without hesitation. They head down the driveway. Ms. Wilkes watch them until they reach the road. She closes her door and lock it. She walk to her mantlepiece and touch an old picture in a frame, of her, her late husband, and her 2 sons.