64 Ghosts

Chris

The hall reverberates with wild cheers, celebrating our crowning and Kane's appointment as regent. After what feels like an eternity, all of our hard work has paid off and I couldn't be prouder.

My chest swells, seeing my family take their rightfully earned place in our world. For the first time in a long time, I let myself savour the moment. Ethan can barely contain his excitement, my hand resting on his shoulder is the only thing anchoring him as he gets caught up in the jubilation.

All too soon, my attention is brought to Jess as she stiffens beside me, her hand squeezing mine. I follow her gaze but she's staring at nothing, brows furrowed in concentration.

'What is it baby,' I link, trying to keep my expression neutral.

'He's here,' she hisses. 'I can feel him and he's pissed!'

Cyrus bristles at the edge of panic in her voice, itching to take a crack at this Shadowman.

As quickly as she gets worked up, she relaxes slightly, confusion written clearly on her face. 'He's gone...'

'Where was he?' I ask, scanning the room and finding nothing of note.

'I don't know,' she replies after a moment, turning her golden-brown gaze to me. 'It was like he was here... but not?'

'Like the dreams?' I ask, struggling to suppress a scowl.

Nothing is ever simple, there's no peace, not for us.

'Yeah, but weaker... I felt him flare up just after Kane was confirmed and the cheering began... He didn't see this coming I don't think,' she mumbles, lost in thought.

Slowly a light shines in her eyes, twinkling as a smile slips on her lips. "Whatever we're doing is not what he wanted, so I say we keep it up," she whispers aloud.

Jess turns and steps against me, hooking her hand around the back of my neck to reach up for a kiss. When her lips brush mine, I'm only too eager to return it, wrapping both arms around her waist as renewed cheers and whistles sound.

When we finally break apart, our breathing is heavy and she's looking up at me through her dark lashes with a coy smile playing on her lips. "Congratulations Sire," she breathes out far more seductively than it has any right to be.

"My Queen," I huskily whisper back, lifting her hand to my lips for a quick kiss.

A clearing throat draws our attention to Jace, who is grinning like a fool, his grey eyes sparkling with mischief.

"Really?" I grumble.

"You love birds have all night, me and the kid are starving," he replies, nodding to Ethan.

"Hey," Ethan groans. "I'm a prince now!" He glares at Jace for a moment, making the Beta laugh.

"You've always been a prince kid, now you just have some jewelry-"

Ethan jumps on him, cutting him off mid-sentence. I groan and palm my forehead, thankful that everyone is already making their way out and over to the ballroom that's been turned into a hybrid banquet hall.

"Highnesses, if you please." Percival gestures to the thrones. "It's tradition to have your photos taken individually and together."

I fish out my phone and pass it to Jace, then lead Jess up to the right-hand throne and see Ethan staring at his. After giving her cheek a quick kiss, I walk over to him and lay a hand on his shoulder.