56 Vixen

By morning, I'm feeling back to my old self. All of the sleep I got and being sheltered by Chris has left me refreshed and ready to take on the day.

Claire gets released today, Kismet guards arrive to get integrated into security, and the coronation set up is in full swing. Anna assures me that she's got everything under control so I literally have nothing to do.

I'm both looking forward to and dreading the influx of Alphas and rank wolves coming for the coronation. On one hand, there are several I'm excited to see again like Nikita, Eric, and Sasha, but I'm also dreading the effect they're bound to have on me.

I wander down to the Guardian wing, looking to tuck out of sight for a while. Derek and Garrick are both off with Chris and the rest are taking care of planning, leaving Mack to run cadet training.

Ethan trains with the other cadets, even with him being more skilled than them. I prefer watching him spar with kids closer to his own size than the seasoned Guardians he usually does.

'Do try not to mess up your face before the big day,' I tease. Ethan's head snaps up but he manages to recover and pin his opponent before they seize the opportunity to pin him in his momentary distraction. 'Well done.'

'Mira and Mack already promised to heal me,' he sasses back with that crooked grin.

"Focus," Mack clips, tapping him on the back of his head. Ethan growls but shifts his attention to his next match, a brawny male a few years his senior.

'Nell is baking, you should really check it out before everyone gets back and inhales it,' Mack links, not breaking her focus on her class.

'Is this a 'stop distracting my pupils' request?' I dig.

'No this is a 'save me some of the butter tart squares!' I can practically hear her salivate in desperation.

'Fine,' I drawl and head back in.

I remember the general direction of the kitchen and soon my nose takes me the rest of the way. My mouth instantly waters as I walk in, surrounded by all sorts of goodies from danishes and tarts to éclairs and cookies.

I'm so distracted by my stomach I miss the woman at the stove. She's older with shoulder length ash brown hair that's pulled back into a low ponytail with soft brown eyes. She's got that hard to guess ageless beauty but I'm guessing in her fifties.

"Can I keep you?!" I gasp, looking at the mountain of food.

"Well considering the Guardians serve the crown, you really can," she laughs, holding out her hand. "Nell."

"Jess." I take it gingerly, bracing myself but her energy stays contained and only a taste makes it to me. She feels very calm and grounded with a sort of old wisdom to it. She may try to hide it but I can also feel she's very powerful.

"Be careful what you admit to, there are pregnant wolves around here that will hold you hostage," I warn. A giggle slips past my lips as I picture Sara stumbling into this treasure trove.

"Then I suggest you try them while they're still warm," she says, grabbing a plate with iced pinwheel cookies. "Almondettes, secret family recipe."

The swirled cookie looks like a firework with almond coloured icing topping it's peaks. I take a bite and moan, savouring the sweet, delicate flavour, thin outer crunch and fluffy, crumbly center. I need every ounce of willpower not to immediately turn into the cookie monster and scarf the platter.

"Come, sit." Nell gestures to the seats on the far side of the kitchen island. "You can be my taste tester, I've been meaning to talk with you anyways."