1 Friend or Foe?

First time reader Check in

Awesome RE-READER Check in

He wants to play? Okay, let's play!

My mate stands on the cottage porch, golden green eyes dancing with amusement as he watches me shake out my reddish fur. His black hair and beard are messy from last night's activities but his bare tan skin has all of my attention as his muscles flex while he walks. One minute Chris is a man, the next he's shifting mid-air, landing on the soft grass in his hulking black wolf, staring at me with predatory intent.

Excitement surges in me and I swish my tail playfully in his face as I turn and run into the thick forest underbrush. The chilly fall air is warming nicely with the sun that makes my coat look like living fire. My heart pounds as my paws dig into the forest floor, ducking and jumping fallen trees and branches as I hear him crashing behind us falling further away.

Cyrus, Chris' wolf may be twice our size, but he's no match for Ember's smaller, more agile frame as we twist and navigate the thick undergrowth. I can feel his mounting frustration as he struggles to keep up and it only feeds our excitement further. The sights and smell of the forest bring a whole new level of peace to us and we delight in the chase, feeling completely at ease for the first time in a long time.

A foreign feeling catches me off-guard and stops me in my tracks as I scan my surroundings. Ember is so busy focusing on my mate that I miss the other presences beelining for us... hunting us. My heart starts to race and anxiety blooms in me as the first man steps out of the tree line, eyes locked on mine.

The black-haired male is big and powerfully built, dressed in a blue uniform of sorts, but his keen brown eyes never waver from me. I drop my head low, raising my hackles, and let out a deep warning growl, pausing the man for a moment. Movement to the left draws my attention as a second male steps out, dressed the same. He looks to me and then his friend, who nods before both men continue to walk towards me.

'Hang on baby, I'm coming,' Chris links me, clearly having picked up my distress. I hear him crashing through the thick brush but the men are closing in faster.

Pushing my fear down, I take a threatening step forwards, gnashing my teeth as my menacing growl fills the space. Both men exchange looks and their faces set into deep frowns before turning their attention back to me. They separate, slightly looking to close in on me from either side and flank me. Before they get too far I lunge, snapping and snarling at the black-haired male, pushing him back to his friend.

My body screams at me to do something, to run, to fight, anything but wait, but my mind knows Chris is almost here.

As if summoned, Chris comes charging out of the thicket and closes the gap between us as he takes a defensive stance beside me. His shimmering black fur is raised on end as he takes in the intruders, pulling his lips back in a fearsome snarl that shows off his deadly fangs. All I can feel is his outrage at these men and his concern for me.

The tension is thick in the air as both men look between us and each other, barely moving, not wanting to upset the snarling newcomer. Their eyes have that faraway look of mindlink communication as they bide their time.

Where are the Guardians?! They were supposed to be watching the forest, did something happen to them?

My thoughts are cut short as a third bulky male appears. Even through the angry haze that is Chris, I can make out that he has a more powerful aura then the other two. Chris growls loudly at the newest male and takes a threatening step forward. If the newcomer thought he could challenge Chris, he's sadly mistaken, the power difference is sickening.