Chapter 1

Chapter 1

~1836~

Lord William Salvatore, Duke of Stoneheart, watched the baby girl in front of him, she was asleep. The baby was barely a few months old, everything about her was small and innocent, it had a patch of dark blonde hair and it was pink all over, that’s was nestled in a basket that looked to be made of the best material and fine linings and gold carvings surrounding outer layer of the basket.

The people that knew the parents of the baby were very happy. The baby had a long time to be conceived and had also from he had gathered, he had known that the birth of the baby had been a difficult one as well. But William, oh William could care less; the brat had just come at a convenient time that’s all.

“I just don’t see what’s so good about you other than your money and the title you will inherit,” William told the sleeping child he self-importantly whispered.

Most upon seeing for the first time, the baby girl was thought it to be cute and adorable; William didn’t see it. Children were annoying little creatures to him. His own son, Richard, proved to be an irritation at times, a big pain in the arse. The only way to deal with him was to send him away whenever he was bothersome, sometimes he couldn’t help but take matters on his own hands and teach the boy not to be infuriating, troublesome and meddlesome. The boy would end up bruised in the end but it got the lesson through to the boy. But like any child the punishment would not always be enough, the next moment Richard would once again be doing whatever got him the punishment in the first place.

“Eventually you and I will be family,” he said sourly, he made a face of big distaste. He has no interest what so ever to be connected to this brat but she was the way he had to take if he wanted to achieve his goals of becoming rich.

He saw the baby as a brat, a nuisance that was needed to gain the wealth he believed he deserved; he didn’t care at all about it. His son Richard and only heir, was four years of age and he was already engaged to one of the richest person in London, this small dormant creature―human being in front of him. The money was taunting, the parents of the girl named her Cassandra Abernathy, she was very rich and powerful, even at the tender age of nine months old it was quite rich and powerful, her statues in society a great privilege and control and especially to William’s pleasure, money.

The Abernathy’s were of high rank; Cassandra’s father was a duke and came from a long line of dukes who had vast wealth and power. Her father was the one and only Duke of Harthill, Christopher Abernathy and her mother had also been the daughter of a duke, Rachel Abernathy, now known as the Duchess of Harthill.

William had done some bad bets and his heady hobby of gambling didn’t help his circumstances. When he was given his title as duke, he also had to carry through with the depts. His father had left so many behind once he died that William had been overwhelmed and angry of the burden he had to manage. 

“It’s my bloody father’s entire fault,” William said furious, “instead of leaving me with a title, power and wealth he leaves me with mountains of depts. But you,” he said at the sleeping child, “you will get me out of this. With your wealth, I will for surely live a leisure and luxurious life, the one I truly deserve.”