29

Mature content ahead.

Then.

November 1998.

''And then what? We have been here for months, Draco. When does it end?'' Navy asked, walking across the grass covering the safe house lawn, ''Do we just stay here? Until it's safe?''

Draco pushed his lips together, knowing that he was needed in Scotland again. His father had sent for him, ''It will never be safe.''

Her arms crossed her chest, holding herself as the early winter breeze seeped through her shirt. She knew too.

He went back a couple of times every month, assisting his parents in something he refused to tell her. She didn't mind it because he always came back. He wasn't gone for more than a day or two.

Malfoy gritted his jaws at her silence, turning around to face her, ''White,'' He said, silently. His hands grasped at her arms, pulling her into him, ''I'm not risking you. That will never change. You have to stay here—''

He released a sigh, heavily, ''I know it fucking sucks, alright? I know that. But Scotland isn't the same anymore. It's dangerous, and I'd rather damn myself that put you in the middle of it. Not after what you've gone through. Not after what you've seen. It's not safe.''

Her forehead tipped to his chest, closing her eyes and clinging onto him, ''I know it's not...'' She whispered, feeling his fingers as they brushed her hair off her shoulders, ''It's just not fair. You have to go back all the time, and it's lonely—''

''I know,'' He settled his head on top of hers, ''But you have William, Parkinson, Blaise. Hell, you even have Nott here. You're not alone.''

Draco hated himself for this, for constantly leaving her behind, but he didn't have a choice. Family lived to be important to him, and he stretched his family's wishes enough by staying with his friends most of the time.

''I'll come back,'' He said, kissing her forehead and angling her face to meet his, ''You know I always come back for you.''

''I know...''

''Besides—'' He tipped his head, his gaze soft and comforting, ''We won't stay here for long. I'll move you across Europe soon, to something more permanent, and we'll stay there together.''

Navy smiled at that. It felt good hearing him say those words. It made the wait for something better not seem as far away.

Now.

July 20th, 2001.

Except it was. It was far away because he left without her.

Navy sighed as she walked through the doors to Asher's apartment building. It was Friday night. They were going out with their friends.

Asher had suggested a night in but quickly changed his mind when Pansy suggested a quiet dinner. They were still not public with their relationship. One more day was left until the world were to find out that the mystery girl Asher Dalton was seeing was no one else than her.

He was excited about the gathering tomorrow, he couldn't stop telling her how his father had made everything perfect, but he still kept her in the dark about what it was. A surprise, he said, she didn't like surprises, not after being left behind. Now she craved to know what was about to happen, feeling as if she had control of the situation, but Asher didn't cave.