19

Navy tried to slam her door shut, ignoring the blond boy who had chased her all the way back to her room.

She was out of breath after running her way through the hallway.

''White, let me in.'' Draco pounded roughly on her door, ''Right now.''

She didn't answer. She stayed quiet, and her spine struck the wood as she slipped down it.

She didn't know why it hurt. He didn't care. She tried to tell herself that she didn't care either. She didn't understand how it could hurt, why it hurt.

Why her heart was breaking, Navy didn't understand.

''For fuck sakes, White, open the door.''

Her face in her hands as she tried not to let out the sob she felt lingering in the back of her throat, but it was hard. It was hard, so hard to shut it out, to let go of everything she'd been through for the past months. It was overwhelming, and this was the point it snapped for her.

''White, open this fucking door, right now, or I swear to god that I will break it.''

Navy knew that she and Malfoy were nothing more than friends — if even that, still she couldn't help the heart cracking in her chest.

It ached so badly now.

''I'll give you one minute. One fucking minute.''

It wasn't just the or the affection. Draco made her feel needed, welcomed and he always sought to include her when even her own boyfriend didn't.

''Navy, let me explain.'' Draco pleaded, his hands still slamming against the timber, and she winced because of it, ''It's not what it sounded like, just listen to me.''

''No.'' Her voice broke, ''Just go away, Malfoy.''

''Can you listen to me for one minute? Just let me in so that I can explain.''

His head shook, and his veins iced, but there wasn't much he could do. He had made a fool out of himself for being careless — thoughtless towards the girl he knew cherished him.

''Don't do this, White. Let me explain.'' He nearly shouted, ''I listened to you. I fucking listened to you yesterday, don't do this to me.''

He took advantage of her kindness, and now — now he wouldn't be granted with it anymore.

Draco was so disappointed in himself. He was so angry, so filled with everything they could never be.

''Then suit yourself then. Fucking unbelievable!''

Navy shut him out. Her feet were flat against the floor as she stumbled up to her bed. She just wanted to sleep.

All she craved was to drag the cover over her head and disappear.

Days passed, and Navy didn't speak to either of the boys. She didn't want to speak or see anyone. Still, she didn't have the heart to shut her brother and Pansy out too.

She needed them. She needed them so much in the loss of herself.

''So, she just went down underneath the school?'' Pansy lowered her voice, ''And talked to herself?''

Navy nodded, peering over her shoulder to make sure that no one else in the common room could catch their conversation.

''What did she say?'' William shifted in his position, looking straight through the two girls in front of him, ''I mean, could you hear the book too?''