XVII. The Volturi

highly recommend looking up Didyme on the twilight wiki before reading, the chapter will make more sense :) this one goes out to all you lore experts lol!!

***

The air seemed to grow colder and colder as the group descended deeper beneath the city of Volterra. Evelyn could still faintly hear the chatter and noise from the festival above them; humans blissfully unaware that they may very well be marching to their deaths just below them.

Jane led the way through the ancient stone passageways, while the other two vampires, Felix and Demetri, as Evelyn had learned, walked behind them to ensure that they followed her. Evelyn sensed that it would be a stupid decision to try to run even without the two of them prodding the group forward. While they were silent, the girl could sense their presence behind her like they were blaring sirens. Despite Jasper's arm wrapped protectively around her waist, she could not ignore the fear that was beginning to simmer low in her stomach.

Goosebumps prickled her skin as they walked, her and Bella's footsteps clapping noisily on the stone floor compared to the grace of the six vampires around them. Darkness enveloped them like a blanket, and she was grateful to have Jasper by her side to lead her carefully over the uneven cobblestone floor. While they did not speak, it was clear that everyone was tense. Just ahead of her, Evelyn could just make out the rigidness of Edward's shoulder's as he helped guide Bella down the hallway. Even Alice, who never seemed to be concerned about anything, was unusually quiet and has a strange air of uncertainty about her.

It seemed that they had been walking for an eternity until they reached a massive oak door at the end of the tunnel. There was another figure cloaked in black waiting for them. As they got closer, Evelyn could see that this, too, was another crimson-eyed vampire. However, this one did not carry the same air of authority that the others did. He bowed low when the three members of the Volturi approached, eyes going to the floor before he straightened to open the door for them.

The door opened, and suddenly a burst of light spilled from the room beyond and filled the dim hallway. Evelyn had to squint her eyes until they could adjust properly. Jane glanced back briefly behind her as if to ensure that everyone had followed her before gliding gracefully into the light. She did not even acknowledge the other vampire's presence as she strode past, followed by Alice, Bella, and Edward. For a moment, Evelyn considered planting her feet and never moving anywhere ever again. But Jasper was there to gently pull her forward, squeezing her waist in an attempt to comfort her as he led them after the others and into the bright room. Felix and Demetri followed closely behind.

When they entered the massive room, they were met by another vampire who looked to be the male version of Jane. The unfamiliar vampire smiled, stepping forward to take Jane's hands in his. "Sister," he greeted. "We send you out to get one, and you return with three... and two halves. Such a clever girl." He eyed the two human girls with a clear distaste before his attention returned to his sister.

Jane said nothing, instead following her brother to stand beside what Evelyn realized were thrones at the far end of the room. Her gaze travelled around the large circular room and up the walls where light was carefully filtered in so as to avoid any direct sunlight hitting any of its occupants while still remaining bright. As an artist, she could not help but admire the sweeping arches and renaissance-esque paintings that adorned the walls. Had they not been in a life or death situation, she could see herself spending hours trying to recreate the detailed architecture in her sketchbook. Her eyes took in the massive thrones once more. With a start she realized that they were standing in none other than the Volturi's throne room.

Beside her, Jasper was utilizing his gift to the best of his ability. He was doing his best to make Evelyn and Bella seem utterly unimportant to the ancient vampires standing before them just as he had done in the meadow with James many months ago. He would be damned if he let anything happen to his mate here, even if things were more than complicated between them. He pulled her tightly to his side for good measure as the came to a stop next to the others in the middle of the massive room. Though she bristled at his touch, she did not pull away.